Looking for Examples/Templates of CS Team Playbooks, Engagement Model documentation, and Accountabil

Options
Jeff Breunsbach
Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
edited August 2023 in Strategy & Planning

We've got a CS Leader who's in the midst of building much of customer success from scratch. Looking to leverage this community to see if there are tools and templates that can be useful as this leader gets started on their way. 

So Community. What do we have that we can share? 

Comments

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HpMHQc2N7W9AeBjPvHse5OdkXp3PIm8p/view?usp=sharing

This is a mockup I had for what the playbook would look like. but sadly not a reusable template. but i made it to illustrate the elements including elements that I felt most playbooks were lacking such as post-play maintenance, barriers to success or risk mitigation.

• Marijn Verdult
    Marijn Verdult Member Posts: 33 Thought Leader
    First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

I don't necessarily have templates to share but having been through this in the last few months I can definitely share my experience. Looking back, I would say start with a Journey Map and indicate all "scheduled" Moments of Truth and build checklist/playbooks/templates for that. 

You can do this within a relatively short period after which you can start mapping "triggered" Moments of Truth. I realized that a few of those conversations were super awkward and more blabber than substance. That made me prioritze these and started collecting intel from other customers. 

For example, I got the question "how can I help my users to spend the time to do this?" very often and realized that prioritization was a problem for the end-users. I interviewed a couple of customers, did academic reading, and got some best-practices. I even asked Marketing to write case studies on this, not focusing on "value" but really the simple fact how other end-users make sure the have the time. 

Happy to have a call with you, Jeff, and/or your CS Leader to share some of my experiences and the process I've gone through.  

• Shari Srebnick
    Shari Srebnick Member Posts: 111 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hey Jeff, 

I have a template we use for a Joint Success Plan (until we can do directly in our CS Software) and can email it, but hard to share here since it isn't a Google doc.

Outside of that, I don't have many templates, but I am happy to jump on a call, if needed, to share what we did, the experience, the process, etc..  We, in a way, started from scratch, and there are definitely things you'd want to establish first as you start to map this all out.   

Open to sharing on a call.  

• Ronald Krisak
    Ronald Krisak Member Posts: 48 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Jeff Breunsbach Hi, I have been on this same journey for a few months now....operationalizing a CS organization & process from the ground up, while also serving as the sole CSM for our customer set.  I am open to sharing what I have done so far if you want to have that person reach out to me.  My efforts are still very much a work in progress!

• Ronald Krisak
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Shari Srebnick hi Shari, Would it be possible to send me your Joint Success Plan template?  I am constructing a CS org from the ground up, and I am always looking for best practices.  Thanks.

• Shari Srebnick
    edited June 2020
    Options

Sure!  I can email it to you - I just have to scrub out some logos and branding.  Let me know your email address and I'll send it over.

• Jeff Breunsbach
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Ronald Krisak Here's a basic template that we've used in the past: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V8vjRR52OJ7BVtJl2nLHWf8ZJ2_S5t-DX-ff3C2UJsc/edit?usp=sharing

@Shari Srebnick Send to me if you get a chance as well! I can get it onto Google Drive and post a link in here. (I can be sure to give you credit in the header of the document!)

• Shari Srebnick
    edited June 2020
    Options

Will do!  

• Ronald Krisak
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Appreciate it @Jeff Breunsbach !

• Daryl Colborne
    Daryl Colborne Member Posts: 50 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Ronald Krisak 

Would love to share together if you'd be open to it! I'm at the beginning stages as well. Maybe we can help each other out with ideas, templates, collateral, etc. Anything we work on together can be shared back with the community here!

• Gabriel Fallas
    Gabriel Fallas Member Posts: 53 Expert
    First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Daryl Colborne @Ronald Krisak 

Same here. Building the CS team from the ground up and serving as the sole CSM. Would love to collaborate with you both! 

@Jeff Breunsbach "building CS from the ground up" - that sounds like a great topic for the CS Leadership Office Hours ;)

• Ronald Krisak
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi @Gabriel Fallas

@Daryl Colborne and I connected on LI.  Just sent you a request to connect.  Once I have your info, I can try & set up time for the three of us to chat.  

• Daryl Colborne
    edited June 2020
    Options

Looking forward to this @Ronald Krisak and @Gabriel Fallas !!!

• Petra Makaremi
    Petra Makaremi Member Posts: 10 Contributor
    edited June 2020
    Options

Seems like I'll be joining the "building CS from the ground up"camp again soon and would love to collaborate with you all if you're up for it? Also, +100 to this being a great topic for the CS office hours @Jeff Breunsbach and @Gabriel Fallas 

• Petra Makaremi
    Petra Makaremi Member Posts: 10 Contributor
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi @Shari Srebnick, could I take you up on this kind offer as well? Also more than happy to join the conversation if there is a call - I've built a CS department before and may be about to start a new role at a young startup again. Would love to help & learn at the same time.

• Jeff Breunsbach
    edited June 2020
    Options

This is absolutely great, love all of this connection.  I'd love to join as well - I think we can bring a unique perspective to the conversation. @Ronald Krisak @Daryl Colborne @Gabriel Fallas @Petra Makaremi 

My one ask is that as you create and update - please share back to this community (and this thread!). Our goal since starting this is to promote "Learning in Public".  

Thanks to you all!

• Daryl Colborne
    edited June 2020
    Options

Consider it done, Jeff. We are going to meet Wednesday at 4pm EST! I’ll be sending out an invite at some point today. Looking forward to getting us together!

• Shari Srebnick
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi Petra, Absolutely!  Shoot me your email and I will send over.

• Derek Pfister
    Derek Pfister Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Shari Srebnick Do you mind sending it my way as well?

• Shari Srebnick
    edited June 2020
    Options

Sure!  Send me your email and I'll get it to you today

• Effie Mansdorf
    Effie Mansdorf Member Posts: 76 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hey @Daryl Colborne I'd love to join - can you send me an invite too?

• Daryl Colborne
    edited June 2020
    Options

Sure thing, @Effie Mansdorf ! Please provide your email address so we can get you added.

• Effie Mansdorf
    Effie Mansdorf Member Posts: 76 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

sent it to you in in LinkedIn!

• Laura Lakhwara
    Laura Lakhwara Member Posts: 45 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Jeff Breunsbach 

I've spent the past 2.5 years building Customer Success for two different product lines for robotics hardware and software that rolls into a Robot as a Service offering. Happy to join a conversation and share anything since I missed Wednesday's call. 

Template wise...I could scrub something and share it to the group here. 

• Jeff Breunsbach
    edited June 2020
    Options

I'd love if you could share scrubbed deliverables. Looking to highlight some of those tools if possible. 

• Gautam Sawhney
    Gautam Sawhney Member Posts: 10 Contributor
    edited June 2020
    Options

Would love to get a peak as well if you are open to sharing!

• Laura Lakhwara
    edited June 2020
    Options

Will get on it this week and try to have something to post next week due to 7/4 @Jeff Breunsbach and @Gautam Sawhney . Thanks for the suggestion as it's great to share progress and get feedback, and too often I'm guilty of working internally and reinventing the wheel. 

• Laura Lakhwara
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Jeff Breunsbach @Gautam Sawhney 

Template:

Example Customer Lifecycle to Expansion

This was used: 

1. As an initial creation of a customer lifecycle to orient teams towards customer success and expansion. It linked to different documentation and templates.
      1. This doesn't incorporate traditional customer journey principles.
      2. This was before we had our CRM built, Project Management tool, and endless number of Google Sheets built out.
      3. Use Case: I'm just beginning to create a process at my company and product is about to or recently just launched. 
    2. As a starting ground for something more in-depth, replaced with software and a more detailed process, and helped guide our playbook creation.
    3. As a visualization for cross-collaboration to ensure teams were oriented on who does what for our customers.

Happy to answer any questions.

• Archive User
    Archive User Member Posts: 24 Thought Leader
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi @Shari Srebnick 

just joined. Was searching for templates too when I saw your post. Would you mind mailing it to me too? thanks 

• Shari Srebnick
    edited July 2020
    Options

Sure!  Provide your email address and I'll send it over