Curious to see how many leaders set up "book clubs" for their CS Org. to conduct leadership training

Options
Joshua Maberry
Joshua Maberry Member Posts: 8 Seeker
edited July 2020 in CS Org Conversations

Here's the list that my team is working through:

• Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
  • Dichotomy of Leadership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
    • Follow up to Extreme Ownership
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People by Carnegie
  • From Good to Great by James Collins
  • The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker

Comments

• Jeff Breunsbach
    Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
    5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
    edited May 2020
    Options

This won't apply since we're a consulting firm, but we have recently done this with our team of 5 and it has been so much fun.  We're about to dive into Outside-In (Manning, Bodine, Bernoff). 

Our first book was True Professionalism by Maister. It was great to get different perspectives - we held a session every 2 weeks to review chapters.  A different team member led each of the sessions. 

Can't recommend this enough. 

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Options

I love the idea and have never considered it. Thanks, @Joshua Maberry for bringing it up. I've conducted training but never a book club. It's now on my list.

Here are a few books I'd add:

• Fierce Conversations, Susan Scott
    • Radical Candor, Kim Scott
    • Account Planning in Salesforce, Donal Daly
    • Hug Your Customers, Jack Mitchell
    • Kaizen, Masaaki Imai (many people think it only pertains to operations folks but it's great background for anyone in business)
  • Scott Morgan
    Scott Morgan Member Posts: 24 Thought Leader
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Yes, my team and I have implemented a CS book club. The objective of the club is to share our thoughts on the books we read together or otherwise and generally increase our knowledge. We encourage podcasts, audio, digital, or paper books, blogs, etc... After reading something, the reader is encouraged to share their thoughts  and share a link to the source for others to read.

• Matt Kerlin
    Matt Kerlin Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

I started a book club with our teams last December. 

The first book we read is Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen. We also read What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture by Ben Horowitz.

We are about to start reading Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry.

We discuss a couple of chapters in our Monday meetings. A different team member facilitates each discussion. 

I'm a big fan of Jocko and Leif and those books will definitely be covered!