Does anyone have experience taking a Wonderlic test or a predictive index behavioral assessment for

Options
Samma Hafeez
Samma Hafeez Member Posts: 24 Thought Leader
First Anniversary
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations

Tagged:

Comments

• Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hey @Samma Hafeez I’ve taken a number of these over the years, including Wonderlic. Also used to work for a company where we sold these assessments. They generally aren’t something you need to or can prepare for. 

For pre employment these tests provide insights into personality, cognitive abilities and even job specific knowledge. 

They can even be calibrated to specific job families and roles. For instance, sales takes a different personality profile than support, customer success is different than engineering. 

The test doesnt change because from a personality perspective there’s no right or wrong answer, it’s simply who you are. The scores are simply calibrated toward the best fit personality characteristics for a job  

A hiring manager should never make a hiring decision exclusively on an assessment. But it can help narrow candidate pools. 

Does this address your question? 

@Jason Conrad has a ton of background here as well And may be able to help elaborate. 

• Samma Hafeez
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Super helpful, yes thank you Jay!! I've been told that candidates will often prepare for Wonderlic assessments by taking practice ones that I imagine have been circulated online. But based on what you're saying, doesn't appear that an incredible amount of preparation, if any, is really required. 

• Will Pagden
    Will Pagden Member Posts: 99 Expert
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hey @Samma Hafeez - I did one a few weeks back for a role I was successful in. I don’t think you can truly prepare. You can prepare for the format etc but you would need to be an absolute genius to preempt your answers to get the outcomes you believe are right. Also Luke Jay mentioned, they should be using this as a tool to assist, not make the hiring decision.

Classic example was my result came back and said I wasn’t detail oriented. Well anyone who knows me knows I am extremely results oriented. However I am fully aware my personality isn’t so it’s something I work hard on. 

Good luck! 

• Jason Conrad
    Jason Conrad Member Posts: 3 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Samma Hafeez the number one rule is don't try to answer based on what you think it wants you to say. They've likely used I/O psychologists to detect that pattern. Answer based on your first instinctual reaction, applying reasoning that includes your philosophies and experiences. You'll be great! 

• Samma Hafeez
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thank you Will!! Appreciate you offering your experience :) And I assume a congrats are in order?

• Samma Hafeez
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thank you for the advice Jason! Will try to apply it!