How to ask better questions?

Options
Vasu
Vasu Member Posts: 11 Contributor

I've observed some CS executives ask amazing questions to C-Level executives and decision makers that gets them talking about their problems, not only in relation to the product but their overall business. I understand 'Asking Good Questions' is a skill that takes time to master. I also believe it is a science. 
How should someone approach this? Any reading materials that come highly recommended, or a podcast that helps with this? 

Comments

• Jeff Breunsbach
    Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
    5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Vasu this is a great prompt - we've been looking into this a bunch recently. We recorded an episode for the Gain Grow Retain podcast that highlights some questions to be thinking about. @Bob London joined us and talks a lot about asking strategic questions. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gain-grow-retain-b2b-saas-customer-success/id1476256054?i=1000478192263

• Marijn Verdult
    Marijn Verdult Member Posts: 33 Thought Leader
    First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Vasu I would tap into the knowledge of the sales profession here. For example the book Never Split the Difference talks a lot about tactical empathy and also try the book DISCOVER by Deb Calvert

• Jared Orr
    Jared Orr Member, CS Leader Posts: 52 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Vasu How to Win Friends and Influence People is a fantastic book that takes a deep dive into relationship building. 

In my experience, my questions have improved as my listening skills have improved. The better I get at active listening, the better and more though-provoking my questions become. 

Cheers! 

Jared Orr

Customer Success Whisperer

• Sidd
    Sidd Member Posts: 32 Expert
    edited June 2020
    Options

Great question @Vasu , Adding to what other mentioned, I also think practice makes perfect. The more you invest time on actually talking to customer, understanding their perspectives, you will eventually get the questions. Key is to be engages & involved in the conversation. One more thing is to focus on asking Open Ended Questions (What does success mean to you? How do you see the CX team transform within the next 2 years?,etc)

• Vasu
    edited June 2020
    Options

That's a great recommendation. I've read and shelved Dales's book. Will definitely go back to this. 
    Regarding active listening - how did you consciously start practicing it? Any tips on getting started with this would be great. 

Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

• Vasu
    edited June 2020
    Options

Yes, I'm constantly reminding myself of that. 
    Asking open ended questions is a great, it has worked for me in some conversations, however - this approach doesn't work with a few executives. They just give really short, tempered answers. How would you approach such conversations? What needs to change here to get them engaged and conversing?

Thanks,
    Vasu

• Vasu
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thank you Jeff. This goes into my weekend listening bucket. 

• Vasu
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thank you, these recommendations help. I'm slowly learning that Customer Success is part consultation and part sales skills. Debra Calvert's Discover is on my reading list now. 

Cheers, 
    Vasu

• Jared Orr
    Jared Orr Member, CS Leader Posts: 52 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited June 2020
    Options

Honestly, I just got in the habit of asking anybody about anything. Family, friends, LinkedIn connections, colleagues, classmates were all people I would ask questions to. I'm sure many of my questions were dumb or simple but it got me in the habit of asking a question and then listening with the intent to learn rather than just respond. When I listen with the intent to learn, my response is usually more genuine and the conversation is much better. 

Jared Orr

Customer Success Whisperer