Mastering "Strategic conversations"

Options
Sidd
Sidd Member Posts: 32 Expert
edited August 2020 in Strategy & Planning
Hey GGR Team,

I am back after a short hiatus and need your advice on this :D

As a CSM, you need to be more strategic in your conversations...

#customersuccess leaders, how does a CSM become more "strategic" I've heard a lot of noise around this one word, but I'd appreciate if you all can to help me understand how I can get there?

Comments

• Laura Lakhwara
    Laura Lakhwara Member Posts: 45 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @Sidd

We have this discussion internally all the time, and I think it overlaps with the call we had on the differences between CS/CC on Thursday. Here is what I coach my team on to be more strategic:
    1. Define roles so CS can be strategic: In introductions to customers, clearly define roles of Deployment, Customer Success and Customer Care and reiterate throughout onboarding.
    2. CS Introduction should include strategic initiatives: In the initial introduction to CS, set the relationship as strategic: discuss their desired outcomes of the product that have been passed by sales and setup a cadence of milestones to reach those goals. Focus on the outcomes that will happen when they hit their goals. 
    3. CS manages data, milestones and outcomes: I emphasize to our CSMs the value of their role. The ability to synthesize data and pull out value and recommendations on the product and pairing that with the milestones and outcomes with their customer. Anyone can send a report or a customer can look at our data platform, it's their analysis that drives value.
    4. Additional Value-add activities: Strategic conversations with c-suite on macro activity and their business (can be in partnership with AEs), sharing thought leadership and best practices, hosting industry round tables or CAB activities, etc. 
    5. Troubleshooting goes to CC: Any product troubleshooting should be forwarded to customer care for resolution. This can help your team stay out of the day-to-day minutia and help them up-level to focus on strategic conversations. And vice versa, if CC gets a question better suited for CS, it gets forwarded to the CSM.
    I feel like @David Ellin @Kevin Mitchell Leonor @Steve Schwartz have some good things to share here too!

------------------------------
    Laura Lakhwara
    Associate Director, Customer Success @ SoftBank Robotics
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-14-2020 13:15
    Subject: Mastering "Strategic conversations"

Hey GGR Team,

#customersuccess leaders, how does a CSM become more "strategic" I've heard a lot of noise around this one word, but I'd appreciate if you all can to help me understand how I can get there?

Sidd
    Customer Success Account Manager @ Freshworks
  • Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2020
    Options

thanks for the tag @Laura Lakhwara

Strategics would have to start with identifying a goal and the outcome you want to have. 

some strategies include
    vertical specialization
    voice of the customer strengthening
    champion cross marketing
    expansion focus

one thing I recommend is leveraging advantages you have already like if you have strong customer mindshare then improve your voc strength and cross marketing

Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Customer Success Manager
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-14-2020 13:15
    Subject: Mastering "Strategic conversations"

Hey GGR Team,

Sidd
    Customer Success Account Manager @ Freshworks