How do you define the differences between Associate/CSM/Senior?

Options
Will Stamatis
Will Stamatis Member Posts: 9 Seeker
First Anniversary
edited August 2023 in CS Org Conversations
Hi Leaders,

I'd love to crowdsource some ideas, in particular actual examples and descriptions, of how you define your CSM levels? I.e. if you've got Associate CSM, Customer Success Manager, and Senior CSM, what categories do you use to delineate the three? 

For example, Gitlab has L&D and Performance goals to level up from SDR 1 --> SDR 2 --> Team Lead. What are the key criteria you use to standardize promotion?

Comments

• Miko Hinojosa
    Miko Hinojosa Member Posts: 6 Seeker
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi Will - 

We have the exact same levels - (Associate, CSM, Senior CSM). 
    • Associate (T1): 0-1 years of experience (your typical recent college grad). Manages SMB - Mid Markets accounts only. The Key criteria to get promoted to a CSM is to comply with a set of training courses, at leat 1-1.5 years working in the company, making sure he has good NPS / CSAT. 
    • CSM: (T2): 2-4 years of experience. Handles a blend of SMB and 1 or 2 Enterprise accounts. In our case - CSMs need to be a bit more technical and have PM skills. It is expected to have good NPS / CSAT, some customer referrals. There's a Training Path set for CSMs to become Senior CSM. 
    • Senior CSM (T3): 4-6 years of experience. Sr CSM is responsible for complex, large customers (Enterprise or ACV above 100K). Is responsible for mentoring and managing standard CSMs. It is required to have more of Strategic Though Leader skills (Specially being the consultative and analytical one - the trusted advisor of the big accounts. The Sr. CSM drives new business, renewals, helps manage not just CS but overall CX. 

------------------------------
    Miko Hinojosa
    Zinier
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-23-2020 16:43
    Subject: How do you define the differences between Associate/CSM/Senior?

Hi Leaders,

I'd love to crowdsource some ideas, in particular actual examples and descriptions, of how you define your CSM levels? I.e. if you've got Associate CSM, Customer Success Manager, and Senior CSM, what categories do you use to delineate the three? 

For example, Gitlab has L&D and Performance goals to level up from SDR 1 --> SDR 2 --> Team Lead. What are the key criteria you use to standardize promotion?

Will Stamatis
    Customer Success Team Manager (Tech Touch)
  • James Conant
    James Conant Member Posts: 37 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Options
    If your team is structured based on the hierarchy described above, the only thing I would add is an expectation of the development of people mgmt skills within the CSM role. This has always been a challenge when developing consultants. What I like about the above structure is that it provides an opportunity to develop those skills, and opens the door for other career paths for your associates.