Celebrating with your team!

Options
Jeremy Mulder
Jeremy Mulder Member Posts: 26 Expert
First Anniversary
edited March 2021 in CS Org Conversations
How do you celebrate with your CS team? Why?
  • Do you have examples where you & the team have felt the power of celebration?
  • Who are leaders that you admire for their powers of celebration? 
  • Is there a moment in your work history – when you were not the leader – in which celebration made a significant impact on you?
  • What happens when celebration is missing?
I'm looking to learn out loud about how others approach this topic. Whatever I do is intuitive, I have no process or guiding framework here.
I think I have a lot to learn. Anyone else?

Comments

• Jordan Silverman
    Jordan Silverman Member, CS Leader Posts: 109 Expert
    First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited March 2021
    Options
    We recently started doing MVP of the month on the CS team. We are about 20 people and each month we send out a survey to the team asking them to vote for another person they feel was the MVP.

That person gets a $25 gift card to a local restaurant as a prize. It is way less about the $ and more about peer recognition. We have found it a great way to celebrate each other in a small but meaningful way!
    Jordan Silverman
    jordan.silverman@usestarfish.com
    (914) 844-5775
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordansilverman/
  • Jeremy Mulder
    Jeremy Mulder Member Posts: 26 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @Jordan Silverman Yes to small but meaningful celebrations! Love the peer recognition angle. Thanks for sharing.  

I've done something similar in which teammates nominated each other based on embodying the team/company values. We announced the winners at the monthly all hands. Each value had a homemade wacky trophy. Winners kept the trophy for the month. We sent them by mail to remote employees.  It was always nice to see the trophy on someone's desk in the office, or on a vid call, and to take a minute to appreciate them for their efforts and share how it inspired us.
  • Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hi @Jeremy Mulder

Just in process of launching something - we are doing it on a quarterly cadence across my entire CX EMEIA org.

3 awards (haven't decided on titles yet):
    - Colleagues award (nominated & voted for my colleagues)
    - Customer award (feedback from customers)
    - Leadership award (leadership team determine)

Early days yet but will be in place for the end of this quarter.
  • Jessica McMullen
    Jessica McMullen Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    First Anniversary
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Great Question!   I love the ideas submitted around recognition programs. 

Does anyone have informal examples?  Maybe things you're doing 1:1? What are you doing that has big impact? 

Thanks!
  • Betty Ernst
    Betty Ernst Member Posts: 5 Seeker
    edited March 2021
    Options
    We use a really great program called Bonusly (disclaimer: shameless plug here - I'm head of CS at Bonusly ?).

We set up awards to reward behavior we're trying to drive, send peer-to-peer recognition to surface all that great work that often goes unseen by management, and as a manager I get great data sets about how my team lives up to our company values (it's also super handy come performance review time!).

Our blog has a lot of really great info on the power of recognition that I think will help you with some of your questions (whether you use tooling or do something homegrown). 
    • Do you have examples where you & the team have felt the power of celebration?
    • Who are leaders that you admire for their powers of celebration? 
    • Is there a moment in your work history – when you were not the leader – in which celebration made a significant impact on you?
    • What happens when celebration is missing?
    I'm looking to learn out loud about how others approach this topic. Whatever I do is intuitive, I have no process or guiding framework here.
    I think I have a lot to learn. Anyone else?