Customer Journey Maps - Missing Elements

Options
David Ellin
David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
edited October 2023 in Customer Journey

Many of us have done Customer Journey Maps in the past. I've never gotten one 100% correct the first time through it. Sometimes weeks or months later, I discover a touchpoint that wasn't included in the journey map. And sometimes, that touchpoint caused a gap in delivery.

From your experience, what are the typical touchpoints you've overlooked or didn't pay enough attention to in your journey maps?

Comments

• Marco Innocenti
    Marco Innocenti Member Posts: 18 Thought Leader
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

One area I feel that often gets overlooked is what happens after renewal.  Often the cycle is outlined to repeat itself, but the message, and potentially cycle, post renewal needs better attention. 

• David Ellin
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Marco Innocenti, are renewals handled by Customer Success or Sales?

• Marco Innocenti
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

Little of both..  my answer was more general though to experience here and previous companies on how journey maps seem to play out.

• David Ellin
    edited July 2020
    Options

Gotcha. Do you think it's because once a renewal is completed, people get complacent? They think the relationship is secure for a longer period so they can let down their guard, so to speak?

• Marco Innocenti
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

I do think that is a part of it.  I think about the work that often goes into securing the renewal, which can often be similar to an initial close, and then once the renewal is secured the team (sales or CSM) often moves onto the next thing.  A lot of pre work can go into the renewal, with very little follow through since they are an established customer.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

Post Campaign Maintenance!

We have them see the value, they adopt, and then we do’t show them how to prolong the benefits of that campaign.

• Will Pagden
    Will Pagden Member Posts: 99 Expert
    edited July 2020
    Options

One thing I have seen missed numerous times is the internal handoffs, always question how this happens!

• David Ellin
    edited July 2020
    Options

Makes sense.

• David Ellin
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Will Pagden, this is a common problem. I've missed some handoffs as well. I've found that building in overlaps during handoff times helps. Instead of a "you stop-I start" handoff, it becomes a "let's work this together for a bit" handoff.

Nurses do a fantastic job at this. Nursing shifts typically run 7-7 (12 hours). The on-coming nurse has to be there from 6:30-7:00 for the "handoff" meeting. The off-going nurse runs the handoff meeting. They do this at the start and end of every shift. The overlap cuts down on any gaps.

• David Ellin
    edited July 2020
    Options

I know what you mean. So much effort goes into it that once it's done everyone takes a breath and moves onto the next one.

How do you think the customer feels? They get all this attention when you're trying to renew them and then poof....no attention at all.