Wholesale business compatible with customer success?

Options
Maxim Ross
Maxim Ross Member Posts: 2 Navigator
edited December 2021 in Metrics & Analytics

Hey Guys,

I'm an account manager for an Industrial Replacement Parts company. A majority of what we do is supply wholesale parts to Industrial Repair Shops and Industrial Supply shops in the NYC metro area. We don't have any subscription plans in the services we provide. Simply our customers place orders and we fill them. A lot of times they're looking for parts that they need help identifying which takes up a lot of my time providing technical support to our accounts so I try to train them (onboarding) by teaching them how to read our catalogs and follow along. 

So my question is this, is it possible to create a true customer success role in a replacement parts business with no subscriptions?

I'm trying to make a transition to a role as a customer success manager for Saas and I want to leverage my experience as much as possible. But also I think it could help the company I'm currently at prepare for the future with a focus on becoming customer centric. I'm having trouble identifying what our customer's metrics would be? Also How I could proactively engage with them to add inherit value?

Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Maxim Ross

Account Manager

Gaddis Company Inc

Glen Cove, NY

(516)587-3276

Tagged:

Comments

• Ely Lenik
    Ely Lenik Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi Maxim, 

This is a great question and I think it's really forward thinking of you to even ask.  Although the notion of customer success was borne out of need in the Saas industry, a true customer success mindset could be applied to any type of business.  I'm going to recommend you read a book called Value as a Service by Rob Bernshteyn who basically couches the concepts into what is the value my business actually provides to my customers and how do I make my customers successful in whatever value metric they use?  In this thinking changing a traditional sales mentality of order taking can be transformed into value delivery of the true value your customers look for in a supplier is how you become a customer centric organization.   Reframing is going to take change at your organization to implement but you may find there are things you can do yourself to move the needle, your customers will definitely appreciate it.

I know this explanation is a little heady but I'd really recommend the book and then take some time to dig into the concepts.  Would love to hear more about where this goes for you!
  • mikes somers
    mikes somers Member Posts: 6 Seeker
    edited December 2021
    Options
    There are three main categories of software development services

https://mlsdev.com/services/web-development. The first category is the dreaming phase. A software development service provider will work closely with the client to understand their needs and then imagine a solution that fits them. The next step is determining what the ideal solution will look like. The software development service provider should also have experience in creating applications that can handle a wide variety of tasks. Its experience and expertise will help them create a perfect product for your business.
    ------------------------------
    mikes somers
    nixsol
    ------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 12-15-2021 22:38
    Subject: Wholesale business compatible with customer success?

Hi Maxim, 

This is a great question and I think it's really forward thinking of you to even ask.  Although the notion of customer success was borne out of need in the Saas industry, a true customer success mindset could be applied to any type of business.  I'm going to recommend you read a book called Value as a Service by Rob Bernshteyn who basically couches the concepts into what is the value my business actually provides to my customers and how do I make my customers successful in whatever value metric they use?  In this thinking changing a traditional sales mentality of order taking can be transformed into value delivery of the true value your customers look for in a supplier is how you become a customer centric organization.   Reframing is going to take change at your organization to implement but you may find there are things you can do yourself to move the needle, your customers will definitely appreciate it.

I know this explanation is a little heady but I'd really recommend the book and then take some time to dig into the concepts.  Would love to hear more about where this goes for you!

Hey Guys,

I'm an account manager for an Industrial Replacement Parts company. A majority of what we do is supply wholesale parts to Industrial Repair Shops and Industrial Supply shops in the NYC metro area. We don't have any subscription plans in the services we provide. Simply our customers place orders and we fill them. A lot of times they're looking for parts that they need help identifying which takes up a lot of my time providing technical support to our accounts so I try to train them (onboarding) by teaching them how to read our catalogs and follow along. 

So my question is this, is it possible to create a true customer success role in a replacement parts business with no subscriptions?

I'm trying to make a transition to a role as a customer success manager for Saas and I want to leverage my experience as much as possible. But also I think it could help the company I'm currently at prepare for the future with a focus on becoming customer centric. I'm having trouble identifying what our customer's metrics would be? Also How I could proactively engage with them to add inherit value?

Maxim Ross

Account Manager

Gaddis Company Inc

Glen Cove, NY

(516)587-3276

• Jeff Heckler
    Jeff Heckler Member, CS Leader Posts: 80 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment Office Hours Host 2022
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi @Maxim Ross,

Like @Ely Lenik, I too applaud your thoughtfulness and approach to applying CS to your business.

I have covered CS for non-SaaS companies in a few talks and blogs which you may find useful.

Two of them are linked, below.

Additionally, I welcome you to connect with me on LinkedIn.

You'll find more resources on my LinkedIn page.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffheckler/

I look forward to sharing and learning together.

Best regards,

Jeff

https://www.marketsource.com/2021/12/14/making-sense-of-customer-success-part-1/

https://getpodcast.com/uk/podcast/gainsight-gamechanger-podcast/cs-not-just-for-saas-anymore_c123add8f9

Hey Guys,

Maxim Ross

Account Manager

Gaddis Company Inc

Glen Cove, NY

(516)587-3276

• Maxim Ross
    Maxim Ross Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hey @Ely Lenik

I'm blushing at the thought of being a forward thinker, thank you for saying that. Also thank you for the direction you're giving, I have ordered Value as  Service and I can't wait to use it as a resource to better explain the importance of tracking customer performance metrics. That knowledge will no doubt be invaluable in my journey to transform my current role.

Hey @Jeff Heckler

Thank you also for considering me thoughtful. Also thank you for the resources you've provided, I will take a look at them this weekend where my search for CSM knowledge is insatiable. 

To update you guys I've done the following:

I've found some important metrics to use to measure our own company's performance:
    • Inventory accuracy: Actual count/Computer reported on-hand balance. Acceptable range is greater than 95 percent. Calculate weekly.
    • Dollars spent on emergency purchases compared to overall purchases: Emergency dollars spent on purchases/Total dollars spent on all purchases. Acceptable range is less than 2 percent. Calculate monthly.
    • Stock outs: Number of occurrences/Total pieces issued. Acceptable range is less than 1 percent. Calculate weekly.
    • Days of inventory on hand: Total inventory valuation/Average daily dollars used. Acceptable range is less than 30 days on hand. Calculate monthly.
    • Slow-moving parts: Number of parts identified as slow or no movement/ Total parts in inventory. Acceptable range is less than 5 percent of total stock units. Calculate monthly.
    • Back orders and vendor performance: Items delivered/Items ordered. Acceptable range is 98 percent. Calculate monthly.
    I went in the opposite direction because I wanted to define how we're tracking our own performance before I start tracking our customer performance. Using our own metrics I plan to develop the key performance indicators for our customers.

Hope to update you soon!

Thanks,
    Maxim Ross
  • Todd Zandrowicz
    Todd Zandrowicz Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    First Comment
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Maxim Ross - Great question because I have experience working within both SaaS and non-SaaS companies. When working within CS, it is all about taking care of your customers, going above and beyond, finding the 'YES' to help solve their issues, having a positive mindset, and being a great team player. If you are doing those things, then the industry experience shouldn't matter (SaaS vs non-SaaS) and if it does matter to those SaaS companies, then they don't value diversity within experience and you don't want to work with them in the end. I have posed this very similar question to other CS leaders on LinkedIn, hoping for a response and didn't get one. I am definitely interested on the responses you already received plus the future responses. Customer Success is the same inside or outside of the SaaS world and if you provide amazing customer service and are proactive, think 5 steps ahead of your customer, you will be amazing in ANY industry as an Account Manager!
    Best of luck!
  • Sally Donaldson
    Sally Donaldson Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Love this conversation - I am building out a CS model for a non SaaS organisation too so would love to connect with you both.