Customer Success for non SaaS B2B

Mario Daniel Aguillón Anzaldo
Mario Daniel Aguillón Anzaldo Member Posts: 1 Navigator
edited July 2020 in Metrics & Analytics

Hi everyone!

One of the biggest challenges I have faced so far is to adapt Customer Success in insurance. Everything out there is for SaaS and B2B. What about other industries? Why B2C isn't receiving any or little CS love?

Truth is CS shines brighter in subscription business models and insurance is probably one of the industries that needs it the most due to its product's nature. And I mean both, subscription business model and CS.

We are delivering B2C insurance on-demand through subscription business model and I'm delivering customer success strategies focusing mainly in Onboarding and Engagement.

Would love to know about new strategies and approaches for non SaaS and B2B.

Stay safe and stay home.

Comments

• Ryan Creamore
    Ryan Creamore Member Posts: 9 Seeker
    edited July 2020

@Mario Daniel Aguillón Anzaldo 

I've often thought that many B2B Customer Success methodologies apply to B2C.  Upsell, Cross-Sell, Expansion, Churn.  All of these still apply, you just have to measure them in other fashions. 

In a retail location for example, a measure of Customer Success is repeat customers.  You can measure your churn rate by leveraging a model that explore what your 'expected purchase per X' where X is a measure of time.  If a customer buys once and doesn't buy again within X, you can consider that customer churned.  You see a lot of great Customer Success strategies deployed in eCommerce for example. 

• Matt Vadala
    Matt Vadala Member Posts: 47 Expert
    edited July 2020

There should always be some level of Customer Success in any business that is providing a service. Check in with your customers: "Did we serve you as you hoped? If not, what could we do to improve next time?" If you're not taking your customer feedback into consideration and interacting with the source of your income how are you going to learn what is needed to increase it?

• Katrina
    Katrina Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

I agree with Ryan and Matt here. Many of the B2B methodologies apply but your delivery may be different. 

Depending on the engagement model, you can still build an onboarding/new customer experience to make sure your customers get the most out of what they have purchased. In your case, that might look like educating them on how to dynamically and easily use their insurance subscription should the need arise plus some thought leadership to keep you close to your customer. Keep demonstrating the need for your services on a set cadence and share stories of how much better off a customer was because they invested in your company (and therefore themselves). If a customer churns, find out why and use that data to continually inform your process.

Depending on the maturity of your organization, you may be able to leverage the campaign side of already purchased chat tools that your Support or Sales teams may be using to engage customers proactively. Let me know if you want to chat more about that.

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2020

@Mario Daniel Aguillón Anzaldo, I have extensive experience in B2B non-SaaS customer experience. In my last role, I was responsible for ~$1.2B in annual customer revenue. 30% was SaaS and 70% was physical services (eCommerce fulfillment, customer care and transportation services.

I was able to apply many of the same playbooks and concepts - Ideal Customer Profile, Customer Journey Map, Strategic Account Plans, Customer Segmentation, Onboarding, Implementation, VoC and executive engagement programs, and more. Where I found the most differences were in Adoption. Since we performed a service (pick/pack/ship of products stored in our Ecommerce distribution centers), adoption was not an issue. I still had to drive adoption with our SaaS products.