Naming of Various Client Segments

Options
Kelly Kimmich
Kelly Kimmich Member Posts: 5 Seeker
First Anniversary
edited September 2020 in Metrics & Analytics
I'm curious to hear how other organizations name their client segments - either for internal or external purposes.  I want to accurately describe the segments, but I also want to ensure that each segment name conveys the importance and value of that segment to our organization.  Examples might include: key accounts, expand accounts, maintain accounts, ambassadors, etc.  Thanks!

Comments

• Yanira "Janita" Sesniak
    Yanira "Janita" Sesniak Member Posts: 53 Expert
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi Kelly -

Let me know if this is what you are reaching for with your question re client segments: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ysesniak_onboarding-customersuccess-customerexperience-activity-6707666187964313600--Fin

In general, we segment by size of the business and which product they use (we have 5). So one segment is "Enterprise Owners" and our teams are clear that Enterprise Owners are our "bullseye"/target market/highest priority.

------------------------------
    Yanira "Janita" Sesniak
    Vice President of Customer Success
    IngeniousIO
    ysesniak@gmail.com
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-29-2020 10:29
    Subject: Naming of Various Client Segments

I'm curious to hear how other organizations name their client segments - either for internal or external purposes.  I want to accurately describe the segments, but I also want to ensure that each segment name conveys the importance and value of that segment to our organization.  Examples might include: key accounts, expand accounts, maintain accounts, ambassadors, etc.  Thanks!

Kelly Kimmich
    Vice President of Client Success
    AgencyBloc
  • Kelly Kimmich
    First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!  This is an interesting post that you shared, but not quite what I'm curious about.  Rather than at the user level, I'm curious to hear more about people are naming their "buckets" of clients at the account level.
  • Ben Winn
    Ben Winn Member Posts: 13 Contributor
    First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Kelly, not sure if this is what you're looking for, but a client of ours segments their clients like this:
      • Base (self-serve, no CSM, etc.)
      • Strategic (more specialized, have a strategic CSM/AE)
      • Nurture (ICP, but no CSM)
      • Growth (lots of net new opportunities)
      • Renew (high ARR, not big opportunity to expand but require strategic CSMs)
    Hope that helps!
  • Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hey Kelly, we are calling our customer segments Enterprise, Mid-market and SMB. Then we have thee CSM engagement models (under our broader "Concierge" program, see below) that we apply to groups of customers based on the segment and their current spending band with us. Those three CSM models are: Named CSM, Pooled CSM (proactive), Pooled CSM (reactive).

Still building out the details and differentiators between the CSM engagement models but the names imply our approach there.

All of our customers, no matter size, are part of our Concierge Program which consists of our user group community, webinar series, education & training, webinars and our CSM program.

Jay

Jay Nathan
    Chief Customer Officer
    m. 843.323.8125 | jnathan@higherlogic.com

-------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 9/29/2020 10:29:00 AM
    Subject: Naming of Various Client Segments

• Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Jeff Breunsbach @Darcy Wodzinski                     
  • Kelly Kimmich
    First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Options

Thanks Ben!  Thank you for breaking out what that looks like for your organization, especially as it relates to which CS team members are involved to help those clients reach their goals. 
    Thanks!

• Kelly Kimmich
    First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Options

Thank you, Jay!  This is very helpful.  It's really more of a matrix based on their customer segment and the CSM model that is most appropriate for them.  Am I understanding that right?  Thanks again!