Playbook Question? As well as suggestions for building a Customer Success Department for Non-SaaS an

Options
Lex Miske
Lex Miske Member Posts: 2 Navigator
Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you all are having a wonderful Tuesday so far! I am building a customer success department for my entire organization from scratch. I was curious what you all include in your Customer Success playbooks? As well as if anyone has any suggestions for building a CS department from scratch would be appreciated. If you have any experience with deploying CS to a non-SaaS organization it would be great to hear how you accomplished it. Sorry for the question overload, thank you again!

Warm Regards,

Comments

• Steve Botz
    Steve Botz Member Posts: 5 Seeker
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I am actually doing this right now. Some of these are specific to our industry but here are the chapters of the handbook so far:
    • Getting On Boarded at Jones
    • The Jones Story
    • Framework Understanding Key Real Estate Companies and Terms
    • Insurance 101
    • COIs 101
    • How Jones Works for Different Real Estate Owners
    • Jones Customer Profiles
    • Expectations of Jones Success Personnel
    • The Jones Customer Journey
    • The Jones Implementation Process
    • The Auditing Process
    • Customer Team OKRs (Objectives and Key Results)
    • Expansion/Upsell Process
    • Front, Customer Support System
    • OnRamp, Implementation System
    • HubSpot for Customer Success
    • Important Credentials
    • The Help Center
    • Auditing Resource Center
    • Requesting Product or Technical Support 
    • Submitting JIRA Tickets (Bug or Feedback)
    • Integrations via Jones
    • Sales Handbook
  • Lex Miske
    Lex Miske Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Thank you so much, Steve, this is very helpful! I hope you have a great day
  • Byron Sacks
    Byron Sacks Member Posts: 12 Contributor
    First Comment
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm at the same spot... busy building a customer Success division from the ground up, but for a professional services (data engineering and data analytics) company. 
    Your handbook is a great guide @Steve Botz, I was wondering if anyone had anything further to add for consideration? 

Thank you

• Wayne McCulloch
    Wayne McCulloch Member Posts: 14 Contributor
    edited May 2021
    Options
    HI @Lex Miske,

As it happens I just wrote a book on how to build a CS organization using a framework I have learnt from being in CS at companies like Salesforce, Google and some smaller companies (that have had great outcomes).  In that book I list the 10 tools you need to deploy and one of those is Playbooks

To help understand where playbooks can impact, I talk about the events and triggers that alert you to the need to deploy them. I've attached a diagram from the book to help explain some of those events and triggers.

Happy to go deeper on this topic with you if needed and I hope this helps?

Cheers and best of luck!
    Wayne

From the book The Seven Pillars of Customer Success

------------------------------
    Wayne McCulloch
    2020 - Top100 Customer Success Strategist
    Google Cloud
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 05-11-2021 11:28
    Subject: Playbook Question? As well as suggestions for building a Customer Success Department for Non-SaaS and SaaS

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you all are having a wonderful Tuesday so far! I am building a customer success department for my entire organization from scratch. I was curious what you all include in your Customer Success playbooks? As well as if anyone has any suggestions for building a CS department from scratch would be appreciated. If you have any experience with deploying CS to a non-SaaS organization it would be great to hear how you accomplished it. Sorry for the question overload, thank you again!

Warm Regards,
  • Ryan Staley
    Ryan Staley Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Some great detail already provided, however if you had a smaller org you are building the following are the key areas I would focus on for tactical revenue creation:

CS focus- top 10-20% revenue producing accounts first and the build down
    Review frequency-3 months, 6 months, 12 month reviews
    unique customer Value delivered in each review
    Seeding or selling in each review (for upsell, cross sell and expansion)
    customer ratings (on capterra or g2 for favorable ratings)
    customer Referrals
    Renewal strategy
    relationship grading for each top 10-20% acct

This is all assuming higher value customer TCV $40k plus.

• Byron Sacks
    Byron Sacks Member Posts: 12 Contributor
    First Comment
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi Wayne,

thanks for the email and events/triggers attachment
    If you have some input to guide starting the department, quick wins, first steps, best practices, entry level CS tooling, scaling the team etc
    I would really appreciate it ? what would you suggest, a Zoom call?

Byron

From the book The Seven Pillars of Customer Success

Wayne McCulloch
    2020 - Top100 Customer Success Strategist
    Google Cloud
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 05-11-2021 11:28
    Subject: Playbook Question? As well as suggestions for building a Customer Success Department for Non-SaaS and SaaS

Good Morning Everyone,

Warm Regards,
  • erin christopher
    erin christopher Member Posts: 6 Seeker
    First Comment
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I find that there are a lot of great "playbooks" out there, but they are only a piece of the pie. A guide with a few examples, a sample workflow here, an email template there - but nothing that pulls it all together into a complete package, until I was introduced to SuccessBLOCs from Totango. In a previous post about how to quickly build a CS team, I shared a webinar from Wisr about their journey - The webinar is AWESOME, but I also think you will find a lot of great discussions from the GGR community and hopefully, answers to your questions. Here is a link to the thread "Building a CSM Team from the ground floor"