Customer Journey Map Examples

Options
Dana Pavel
Dana Pavel Member Posts: 9 Seeker
First Anniversary Photogenic
Hi everyone, 

There has been some discussion here around the customer journey mapping. We're just getting started with this exercise and I wonder - do any of you have some templates/examples of journey maps that you can share? 

A few additional questions:
  1. What steps did you follow when you created it?
  2. Did you involve other teams? If yes, which ones?
  3. How complex is your journey map? How deep did you go?
  4. Did you interview customers before? 
Thanks everyone! 

Dana
Tagged:

Comments

• Ed Powers
    Ed Powers Member Posts: 180 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary 5 Likes
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @Dana Pavel,

I've been doing customer journey mapping (what I call Mindful CX Design) for several years. You're on the right track! Some thoughts: 

The purpose of customer journey mapping isn't just documentation. It's really about what happens during the process: a team comes to a shared understanding of the issues, develops a shared vision of an ideal customer experience, and shares a common commitment to make the vision a reality. In the context of an enterprise-wide initiative to reduce churn and increase NRR, journey mapping is a powerful exercise. 

I facilitate an 8-step process: 
    1. Form the right team
    2. Segment and define personas
    3. Define experience phases
    4. Analyze effective and affective needs
    5. Map business processes
    6. Refine controls, measures and UX
    7. Analyze and prioritize gaps
    8. Execute improvements
    Including other customer-facing team members is essential. It's key to choose the "right" individuals and it's part of step #1 above.

I've found the most practical is a "level 2" map: 0 = enterprise-wide key business processes (5-7 boxes on one slide); 1 = each key business process broken into 8-10 major steps, shown on one page each; 2 = each key business process broken down to tasks owned by an individual or function and shown in "swimming lanes" on the y-axis. At level 2, it's possible to identify the major gaps and clarify roles and responsibilities, and greater resolution (level 3) can be the focus of a subsequent process improvement project, as needed. 

I'm a big advocate of interviewing customers, and recording, editing, and presenting their feedback to help the team understand the problems the new design intends to solve. Hearing the issues directly from customers provides excellent context and is tremendously motivating. Applying neuroscience is a key feature of my approach. It turns out the customer experience isn't important--what customers remember from their experience is. So what they recall is a huge clue as to what they find important and valuable. Their recollection is ultimately what drives their renewal and expansion decisions, so it helps the mapping team focus on what really matters. 

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of service in any way. 

Ed
  • Surendranath
    Surendranath Member Posts: 9 Seeker
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi Dana, 

I know there is no hard n fast rules to build a Customer Journey Map, but here is what we did in our organisation:

Firstly we broke the journey into stages - implementation/initial product adoption, expansion, renewal stages (we named them differently).

For each stage we identified -
    • Timeline (eg. implementation is from 30-45 days post contract sign);  
    • Stage Goal/Objectives - eg. during adoption phase (3-6 months after launch), ensuring customer is utilizing the solution to the fullest and achieving their business objectives;
    • Roles, Responsibilities & objectives - eg. during implementation phase, what is the role of a CSM, imp consultant, customer, etc;
    • What are the possible risks at each stage and mitigation plans to follow
    • What are the actions/deliverables
    • Internal resources that can be used
    • KPI's
    --------------
    We followed agile methodology, and formed a team of individuals from different departments (Product Mgmt; Tech Support; Prof Services; Success; etc.) to understand their roles at different phases/stages of customer journey.

We tried to go deep and include all steps at each phase n stage of customer journey, so it can be used as a bible. Luckily we have a tech team to put it in a portal format, so with couple of clicks an employee can see what he/she wants.

To conclude, it is an ongoing process as our internal processes/tools/resources keep on changing, and we need to update the framework to stay current.

Personally, I prefer it to be as simple as possible though :)

Thanks,
  • Mark Flanagan
    Mark Flanagan Member Posts: 26 Expert
    First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thanks for your post, Surendranath. What you've outlined is right on the mark. We take a very similar approach with our clients.
  • Andy Sackley
    Andy Sackley Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Late response, but wanted to add on here, as I've been through this process a couple of times.

I've found that a good journey map can not only act as an onboarding / enablement aid, but a reference for not only CS, but other Customer-facing teams that want to understand this process better. Also - this is a living document, I find myself in it at least a couple of times a quarter, tweaking it here and there based on learnings, feedback, or changes to tools or processes to (hopefully) simplify or streamline the journey!!

Our journey map has now evolved to include a detailed section for each 'touch' and includes:
    • Description
    • Objective
    • Medium (phone / zoom / in-person etc)
    • Typical Duration
    • Internal Ownership (role)
    • Internal Involvement (rest of RACI)
    • Customer Involvement (role)
    • Actions we need to take / complete
    • Resources that support (linking out to templates / forms / checklists etc)
    • Exit Criteria (how we know we can move to the next step)
    As others have mentioned, Customer Personas are also key, and we've throughly documented those with and even included example LinkedIn profiles to provide real examples & context.

Hope this helps!!
  • Nicholas Ciambrello
    Nicholas Ciambrello Member Posts: 27 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited August 2021
    Options
  • Bayron Toruno S.
    Bayron Toruno S. Member Posts: 20 Navigator
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

Hey @Surendranath

My name is Bayron and I'm in a similar situation to Dana. I liked your response, it was really helpful I was wondering if you could share the structure you use in your current Journey map or a similar one so I can have a better visual idea of how I can implement it in the organization I'm working in.

Thanks in advance.

• bgilfill1
    bgilfill1 Member Posts: 12 Navigator
    First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Thank you for posting this question @Dana Pavel - so helpful to get all of these wonderful insights!