Retail Tech

Options
Sharook.A
Sharook.A Member Posts: 4 Navigator
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

If anyone works in retail, or has used a service or 2 at a retail store this post is for you.

What is the biggest pet peeve you have when you enter into a Brick and Mortar store?

How would you fix that issue?

#customer-led growth #voice of customer

Comments

• Brian O'Keeffe
    Brian O'Keeffe Member Posts: 209 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Comment
    edited February 2023
    Options

Just came back from one. A small speciality grocer. Checking out, no acknowledgement, no thank you and worse, when I say thank you I get "no problem." As if saying you're welcome is a sing of weakness*? I also had a total that ended in .99 and used cash. Slowly the penny was handed over and they seemed like they expected me to walk away without it. *A CSM I worked with years ago told me that saying I'm sorry, thank you and you're welcome was not necessary and after some prodding it was revealed that (on the streets?) it is considered weak.

I have a local coffee shop nearby that I get the same experience at. (What's up? Is the greeting I have gotten standing at the counter.) I so want to love it and do love what they sell. But the unpleasant exchange has me go to Starbucks when I have a choice. They know how to make you feel and even a slightly inferior product is preferred if the experience is better.

• ashley_martin
    ashley_martin Member Posts: 30 Navigator
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    Options

Not acknowledging a customers presence. I get things are busy everywhere with low staffing, but a quick "hi, I will be with you shortly," doesn't seem like asking too much. Or watching an employee that is clearly not busy, ignore customers.

• Sharook.A
    Options

@Brian O'Keeffe firstly how ironic, I am going to begin with saying thank you for engaging in my very first post and for sharing your personal experience.

It's an interesting take away that a small grocer, would have to rely more on customer relationship building then lets say a "Metro"

The easiest form of communication and gratitude is often missed, which then "first value" would take longer to be perceived.

Have you been going to this grocer for sometime now, and if so would you continue to go? What is the first value you feel the grocer has given you to make you go back?

Do you feel employees, in fast service chains have become scared to go above and beyond to start a conversation? Is there a management issue?

Thank you for engaging?

• Sharook.A
    Options

@ashley_martin

Do you think the " situation where an employee is clearly not busy" and doesn't want to help, they do it because they don't see the value they bring in every small little interaction. Do you think the data in the hands of associates can make a difference in how they perceive every day tasks?

• Sharook.A
    Options

@ashley_martin

Thank you for sharing your insight and also for linking your linkedin Profile. I will for sure to connect and hoping we can engage further on Linkedin.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.