Calling all using Gainsight

Options
Brian O'Keeffe
Brian O'Keeffe Member Posts: 199 Expert
First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Comment

Hi! I started a new role recently and am now using Gainsight. I used it for years, as a CSM, and will now be developing and implementing campaigns and have access to Journey Orchestrator. Previously I was doing the same thing in Totango. If you are/have used it would you be willing to share with me tips and tricks? Advice/best practices and shared other experience welcome!

Comments

• Chimeria Gonzalez
    Chimeria Gonzalez Member Posts: 10 Navigator
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Following along as I,too, am new to Gainsight.

• Seth Wylie
    Seth Wylie Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

A couple more great places to drop this question:

• MWNieland
    MWNieland Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    First Comment
    Options

1) Journey Orchestrator is only as good as the data you're feeding into it.

2) SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE and SAVE again. It can be a little finicky and I have lost entire drafts because something I clicked on made it angry.

3) Any advice largely depends on how complex you plan on building out your programs, and for what purposes. What are your goals for your role? Do you have to spin up an entire onboarding journey? Or are you using it to send one-off emails or small 1-2 email campaigns? I feel like JO can be as infinitely complex or as easy as you want it to be - so start by making best friends with the Gainsight Admin on your team/in your org! You will need their help when you're learning how to build program logic to make sure you're pulling the right data.

4) Make sure you review all of your unsubscribe configurations (may have to work with Gainsight Admin on that too) to ensure you're compliant.

5) You will have better luck resolving issues or frustrations by leaning on the Community rather than the Support articles - I find that the terminology used in Support articles often isn't apples to apples with the way the same feature is referred to in-product, or I attempt to find a deeper dive article on what I'm struggling with and I end up in a circle of articles that keep referring back to one another.

• Brian O'Keeffe
    Options
  • Brian O'Keeffe
    Options

All great stuff, thank you. I have been through a similar journey but used Totango.

1) For sure and we have a long way to go. Basic data fields are missing. My first goal is to focus on getting key data fields, and others, into GS.

2) Glad for this advice and will start doing that in my testing.

3) I plan to build out complete customer program lifecycle campaigns from initial adoption to renewal and expansion.

4) Thank you, this is key to being a viable tool. In my previous role I did not have to think about this. It was already in place and reviewed and managed by another team.

5) I am very disappointed to be added to GS and have virtually no access to training (I see the paid option) or any type of onboarding triggered. I find the documentation overwhelming and very difficult to even get started with just that but am chipping away at figuring it out.

• Meg Valentine
    Meg Valentine Member Posts: 7 Navigator
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

hi Brian,

I have used both Gainsight and Totango. Currently I have a lot of free time, if you still need more assistance, I'd be happy to do a screenshare with you. Contact me at megvalentine2016@gmail.com or 303-717-3301 to schedule a time that works!

Meg Valentine

Sr. Enterprise CSM - https://www.linkedin.com/in/megvalentine/

• Brian O'Keeffe
    Options

Thank you so much, Meg. I will reach out and set up a time to talk! Much appreciated and looking forward to chatting with you.

• Chimeria Gonzalez
    Chimeria Gonzalez Member Posts: 10 Navigator
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Hey Meg!

I hope I can grab some of your time to learn some of your key takeaways when using Gainsight.

• Cheryl Luft
    Cheryl Luft Member Posts: 13 Contributor
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Photogenic
    Options

Journey Orchestrator is not the most intuitive tool, but testing out a few times with various options helped me understand what worked and what didn't. It might be a good idea to focus on their new design, even though it's more complicated, it's more powerful, especially based on the extensive programs you're planning on building out. We were assigned a technical resource from the Gainsight side who has been a key part in advising and building out more complex programs. Would recommend asking about this as well to help you get where you're going.