Example CSM Comp Plan (Net Dollar Retention)

Options
Jeff Breunsbach
Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
edited July 2020 in CS Org Conversations

We put together an example CSM Comp Plan but I'd be curious to get feedback and hear if there are other versions that the group could share. 

I'm also curious on 2 questions: 

1. How do you partner with Finance on this?
  2. Where do you calculate comp plans? Excel? Tools?

Example CSM Comp Plan

Comments

• Brian Hartley
    Brian Hartley Member Posts: 185 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2020
    Options

Currently work with Finance hand-in-hand to design and develop the plan (small company benefits).  We keep ours very simplistic and comp all members on CS team, not just those who would be a CSM.

Currently use Excel, with data coming from SFDC.

• Andy Barton
    Andy Barton Member Posts: 18 Thought Leader
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi Jeff, 

Depending on the stage, I would create the plan myself in a spreadsheet, and test it off the actual numbers from the previous quarters, making a case for some basic accelerators for specific results and behaviours that you want to encourage. If I can make it work from a results (and cost/payout perspective including reasoning how it gets funded) then I present to Finance leadership and ask them to adopt it in whatever their tool of choice is. 

I always find it takes longer asking than drafting yourself and presenting. I agree with @Brian Hartley simple, predictable and for everyone!  

• Effie Mansdorf
    Effie Mansdorf Member Posts: 76 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but curious how multi year contracts are handeled, and how orgs balance the distribution of the the accounts within the CSMs
  • sarahsandberg
    sarahsandberg Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Jeff Breunsbach how did you land on 6% growth for the 8M book of business? Coming up with how to set the net retention target is where I'm currently mulling. We used to do it off $$ (book 50k this month) but I want to move it to a percentage.
  • Mark Flanagan
    Mark Flanagan Member Posts: 26 Expert
    First Comment
    edited December 2021
    Options