Chat bots to proactively engage with your users

Options
Jeffrey Nadeau
Jeffrey Nadeau Member Posts: 28 Thought Leader
First Anniversary
edited July 2020 in CS Technology

I wanted to share a recent success using Chat Bots to reduce some of the work off of my CSMs plate and learn how others may be using chat bots in a similar fashion and the results you've seen.

We are focused on getting Customer Interviews and we have Intercom as a way to communicate with users right inside the product. We recently launched a new feature and I targeted our Power Users with the message below. 

The message had a 21% reply rate and out of the replies, 78% of the users agreed to the meeting. 

What open rates do you see for chat bots messages? Any other successful use cases you've implemented using chat bots?

You are one of our power users and that is why we want to hear from you about ways we can improve our templates for your workflow.

Would you be open to a 15 minute call with us to share feedback?

You can simply reply to this chat. Thank you in advance for your time.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jeremy Owsley
    Jeremy Owsley Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

How do you all qualify and track someone as a "power user"? Our system admins are seen as power users by default which I believe dilutes the title of power user. 

We have not implemented a chatbot feature, but I imagine it would be a fantastic resource if used correctly. When I was with a previous organization, they had their chatbot configured to be persistent in jumping out at users. It was also used in a support capacity but not in a proactive CS engagement model.

• Jeffrey Nadeau
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

We track information on what users have done in the platform and send that data to Intercom. So for us, we are a video creation platform. Any user who created over 1000 videos we targeted for this campaign and considered them a power user.

We kept it simple as we are new to doing this, but we can segment users a lot of ways since we have event tracking in the product and also we can show the chat bot at any time in the product so it's relevant to the users when they see the message.

• Jeff Breunsbach
    Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
    5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
    edited June 2020
    Options

That's great Jeffrey.  Love this type of data and execution - great way to find hand raisers in your client base. 

This got me thinking about a potential A/B copy test that you could run. Not sure if you can get this in Intercom but maybe some tweaks to test:

1. Introducing with a First Name
    2. Reinforcing where the feedback will be used
    3. And making sure they know what will happen next once they agree

[First Name], you're one of our power users. We're glad that you've adopted our software into your workflow. We're reaching out to you (and other power users) to hear about ways we can improve our templates for your workflow. 

Would you be open to a 15 minute call with us to share feedback? This information will be couple with other interviews to share with our Executive team.

You can simply reply to this chat - and we'll follow up with an email to schedule time. 

• Jeffrey Nadeau
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

We are personalizing this by first name, just didn't include in the message I posted here! So great minds think alike!

I like the idea of reinforcing where the feedback will be used as this gives the customer more insights into why this conversation will be valuable for us (aka our partnership)

Also, like what you added about we will follow-up with an email to schedule time. One thing we have done is add the use of Calendy, so we can also share our PMs schedule directly with customers to book a time that works for them after they agree to a call. 

Overall, want to make this process as frictionless as possible since getting Customer Interviews takes longer than expected almost every time. 

• Matt Vadala
    Matt Vadala Member Posts: 47 Expert
    edited June 2020
    Options

Any heavy platform user not only appreciates recognition for use and (hopeful) success with the platform. Beyond that, they're aching to give their feedback and be part of the process for crafting the thing they're using. Cheers to putting both concepts of power usage and data collection together to yield such great success

• Sidd
    Sidd Member Posts: 32 Expert
    edited July 2020
    Options

This is a fantastic thread, loved the personalisation tip and the A/B testing Framework @Jeff Breunsbach  I might leverage this as inspiration for my tech touch customer reach out via email..

@Jeffrey Nadeau  - we also have In-Product messaging triggered to the Admins that can collate their feedback or engage them in a conversation. It is a double-edged sword, glad it worked out fine for you.

We did receive push back..

• Jeffrey Nadeau
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Sidd Thank you for sharing your feedback. Glad you also got ideas from this thread!

For the times you had push back, what were those scenarios and reasons?

It would be great to learn more about what you’ve found to be too much for customers regarding in-product messaging