Hi All - We are trying to move away from expansion quotas for our Enterprise CSMs. Apart from renewa

Options
Manan Joshi
Manan Joshi Member Posts: 11 Contributor
edited July 2020 in Strategy & Planning

Tagged:

Comments

• gurd3v
    gurd3v Member Posts: 70 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited July 2020
    Options

Someone from the GGR community (and I'm pretty sure it was either @Jay Nathan  or @Jeff Breunsbach) posted about the roles in CS depending on the industry size of your customer. 

In enterprise, I remember the diagram showing that there could be a role specific to expansion, separate from CSM as the CSM is responsible for adoption and customer satisfaction. 

I just spent the last 15 minutes digging for the diagram - no luck. Will try to find it later today. Hopefully someone else in the community knows what I'm talking about!

• Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited July 2020
    Options

Couple of resources here, @Gurdev Anand. Were any of these what you were looking for? 

• gurd3v
    gurd3v Member Posts: 70 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited July 2020
    Options

YES! Mixed Touch vs High Touch vs Low Touch was what I was referring to. 

The others are just awesome resources that I'll be saving for when I need em. Thanks for sending all these over!

• Manan Joshi
    Manan Joshi Member Posts: 11 Contributor
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thanks @Jay Nathan 

• Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

Great images courtesy of @Jay Nathan 

He won't be surprised for me to add this. For me, your high-touch, Enterprise CSMs should be tasked & measured on delivering outcomes for their customers. Ideally these outcomes are measured as a financial value as that will be the most impactful for your customers. Without knowing your software/service, I am sure it (ideally) addresses a business problem so the outcome should be how it addresses that problem, and the benefit of that.

• Steve Bernstein
    Steve Bernstein Member Posts: 133 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2020
    Options

While "Outcomes" are the ideal measure, they are often too late (lagging) to drive performance improvement. You'll want a good mixture of leading and lagging indicators, with your leading measures focused on process adoption/compliance so you know they are headed in the direction. The key process we see for Enterprise CSMs is RELATIONSHIP building... how deep and wide are the relationships that the CSM has managing, and are they extending their "footprint" within the account to engage all the right stakeholders?  We often see CSMs single-threading contact through their "champion" at the expense of building good bench-strength across the account. We have an awesomely detailed "cookbook" that describes this process in more detail, with templates that accelerate your implementation of this important process, at https://waypointgroup.org/whitepapers/silver-bullet-customer-health-scoring/

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2020
    Options

Adding on to @Steve Bernstein's thoughts on leading indicators, I'd add engagement - participation in case studies, testimonials, referrals, co-hosting/speaking on webinars, etc. If your CSM is doing a good job keeping customers engaged in other ways than simply using your products, that's a good sign they're happy, evangelists, and not going to churn.

• Chrissy Hines
    Chrissy Hines Member Posts: 11 Contributor
    edited July 2020
    Options

All great details, thanks for sharing everyone! And thanks @Jay Nathan again for that detailed insight.