Re-Engagement & Multi-Threading Strategies

Ryan Creamore
Ryan Creamore Member Posts: 9 Seeker
edited July 2020 in Strategy & Planning

Hi Everyone, 

I'm curious if any of you have any playbooks or can point to any solid resources on what Jake from Skaled recently mentioned on the GGR Podcast. 

Specifically - the challenges to overcome are 

1. how best to get customers back into conversations when they've gone quiet?
  2. how to extend deeper across a customer organization so that you have more than a single-point-of-contact?

We are running much of the standard playbooks related to Topic 1 such as cold-email, Linkedin Outreach, touching base with other stakeholders within the organization, leveraging a QBR to entice re-engagement, offering to share custom reports in a call if they have time etc. 

Curious if you all have anything defined around these areas and would love to hear. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Brian LaFaille
    Brian LaFaille Member Posts: 10 Contributor
    edited July 2020

These challenges are not uncommon for any CS department out there, I'm curious how others are doing this, but I've found that the best way to engage customers that go dark is to not lose momentum and engagement in the first place. We've had success in this manner by....

1) Having sales directly introduce the CS team or CSM right as the contract closes 

2) Being prepared to ask the following questions so we're building multi-threaded relationships from the start. This is focused on Looker (our application) and the data space, but could be configured for other sectors: 

• Across hundreds of successful Looker implementations, we know that having the right team can have a positive impact on the adoption and success of the Looker rollout. We were previously partnering with _______ during the trial phase. Who's the correct primary point person we should be working with to get your Looker implementation progressing forward?
    • We typically partner with one member of your data team with knowledge of the underlying data warehouse and schema, but crucially also partner with one priority business unit leader. Who in your organization can we partner with for a successful departmental Looker launch?
    • Who else not mentioned today should we be in touch with regarding the Looker rollout? Do you feel comfortable making an introduction?

3) Have a goal to build the 1,2,3 matrix of relationships: 

• One Director and above relationship
    • Two key technical champions 
    • Three end users 

4) Be prepared to put a bit of an SDR hat on and leverage the tools you mentioned above. All of our CS team members have Linkedin premium so we can identify people to build relationships with and start to build that 1,2,3 matrix or relationships. 

5) Communicate with the top level of relationship matrix in the language they're used to seeing. For instance, if I'm hoping to engage a Director or VP, we have to be concise as we know all executives are on the go and busy. That said, they're not so busy, that they won't open an email with short and digestible value-adding stories they can leverage in their next staff meeting. To that end, we have CSMs summarize the value that organization is receiving from Looker in a one paragraph email with a single slide attached as a PDF (for easy viewing on mobile). In that slide we're highlighting two things: 

• Adoption rate of Looker (and which departments are using in a mature capacity) 
    • What the tangible value Looker is providing one of the more mature departments in the form of a short-form value story. (IE - Your marketing department is leveraging Looker to analyze ad campaign spend and due to insight gained from Looker, they've saved your company $30k in annual ad spend by reconfiguring underperforming ad placements) 
  • Matt Vadala
    Matt Vadala Member Posts: 47 Expert
    edited July 2020

@Ryan Creamore does your org have any means of customer interaction tracking? CRM reports? I would look to those, figuring you are not tracking their specific usage and targeting cold outreach based on usage. If they are interacting with your org then they have needs. It could be possible to build out an exploration based on their use cases. That is, depending on what sort of revenue growth you would envision based on these interactions. I can see this going quite deep and far, but it would have to be worth the time and effort, of course.