Long term customer journeys can they be fresh?

Options
Scott Hopper
Scott Hopper Member Posts: 70 Expert
First Comment
edited October 2023 in CS Conversations

Your product has been on the market 10 years.  How do you keep your early adopters excited about taking the next leap forward adopting the latest "WIDGET"?

Tagged:

Comments

• Emma Mailey
    Emma Mailey Member Posts: 4 Seeker
    edited April 2020
    Options

Great question. I've seen pairing early adopters with newer (and super creative) customers helpful in generating excitement for a "leap"

• Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited April 2020
    Options

I like @Emma Mailey 's answer. Also think that if your product team is delivering real value, solving new problems (not just feature / widgets) then it's easy for customers to stay excited. 

It's when we mistake incremental features for real value that customers lose interest. Gotta keep innovating!

• Scott Hopper
    First Comment
    edited April 2020
    Options

That's a wonderful idea.

• Arit Nsemo
    Arit Nsemo Member Posts: 13 Contributor
    edited April 2020
    Options

Completely agree with both @Emma Mailey and @Jay Nathan . One thing that I've seen work well is to invite those early adopters to be your beta group members, or to invite them to a customer product council (like an informal advisory board focused specifically on product roadmap ideas). Getting them involved in the process can make them feel both like true partners and also like co-creators. 

• Scott Hopper
    First Comment
    edited April 2020
    Options

I didn't bound it, but maybe your feature list isn't so exciting because you are given a smaller budget. If your Microsoft, or Adobe, you have very competitive product budgeting.   

• Vijaya Vardhan P
    Vijaya Vardhan P Member Posts: 13 Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Options

@Scott Hopper a slightly different approach, specifically for the early adopters. When we bought a bunch of on-prem customers to cloud, they were early adopters to our cloud platform but mature users of our on-prem solution. The CSM team ran a program called called as 'Discovery Weeks'. The program was designed in such a way that the customers got only a high-level understanding of the platform first. Then, they were assigned a test cloud setup to play around and come up with use-cases on their own. They would have a follow up meeting cadence with CSM's. Use-cases were discussed and solutions were presented out of the box. If not, enhancements were considered. This helped keep the engagement levels high, as the customer felt they found solutions to their own problems. It created a memorable connection with the platform. 

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Options

Two fist bumps to @Emma Mailey  and @Jay Nathan for their respective responses. THREE fist bumps to @Arit Nsemo. Love the idea of getting early adopters only product councils - partnership and co-creation. Simply fantastic!!!

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

value progression. the new feature or widget must either tie to the same value as another or build off of it. So I try to  map feature journeys with product roadmaps in mind