What does a Customer Success Manager do? ?

Options
Sidd
Sidd Member Posts: 32 Expert
edited July 2020 in Strategy & Planning

I know most of us here are experienced professionals, but I still wanted to understand how the role in itself differs across Geos, companies, etc.

After witnessing many iterations, I’ve tried to define it based on my experiences so far...

Here goes my first try -

?As CSMs, you represent your company to the customer and the customer to your company.

?We handle post-sale customer engagement, employ a proactive and consultative approach to understanding and empowering their business goals.

?We help deliver customer outcomes which thereby results in value recognition!

?Empathy >>> Transactional Mindset

?People >>> Product >> Processes

?We drive customer centricity within the company & help them achieve their desired outcomes ?

What did I miss?

Tagged:

Comments

• Alex Turkovic
    Alex Turkovic Member Posts: 61 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

One item to add from my perspective:

Triage: If difficult issues arise (technical, billing, etc.), a good CSM will be the single point of contact (SPOC) for the client and align/manage other cross-functional teams internally to resolve the issue. This eliminates the customer from being bounced around from person to person and also fosters trust in the relationship between customer and CSM.

• Ronald Krisak
    Ronald Krisak Member Posts: 48 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Sidd I like your first bullet  -- As CSMs, you represent your company to the customer and the customer to your company.   I look at it as more than representation.  I like our customers to feel I am an extension of them within my own company -- a seat at the table.  Good topic.

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

Great bullets, @Sidd. I would love to see the word 'strategic' in there somewhere. It helps others understand that Customer Success is not Customer Support (which is tactical).

• Rob Stevens
    Rob Stevens Member Posts: 3 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

The Customer Success Manager is the strategic partner with your customer, helping move the customer's business forward. They make sure your customer understands the value of their purchase, and can communicate that value to others.

• Sidd
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks @Ronald Krisak , yes they definitely deserve a seat at the table and we are facilitating that along the way through our role.

• Sidd
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks @David L Ellin , yes I totally get your point. I've faced many situations where I was just an extension to Customer support for the client. The minute I realised this, I started defining my scope and ensured to convey the same to my clients in a structured manner.

Maybe replace consultative approach with strategic approach? Im curious to learn where you would fit it n..

• Sidd
    edited June 2020
    Options

True that @Alex Turkovic , this "Triage" in a way strengthens the trust and keeps the customer at ease and realise that they're in good hands. However, maintaining balance is the key, don't over do or under-do.

• Sidd
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Rob Stevens 

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Sidd , I’d go with “proactive, strategic, and consultative approach...”. The word ’consultative’ should stay in as well. 

• Sidd
    edited June 2020
    Options

Yes, this is perfect, thanks David! @David L Ellin 

• Alex Turkovic
    Alex Turkovic Member Posts: 61 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

It's a good point. Over-doing your level of support can set a dangerous precedent and will keep you from helping other clients.