What is the moment in your onboarding/implementation that customers rave about?

Options
Jeff Breunsbach
Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
edited October 2023 in CS Org Conversations
This question came up on our CSM Office Hours yesterday and I'm curious to see if we can get some good examples coming through....

Comments

• Brian Hartley
    Brian Hartley Member Posts: 185 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Options
    For my company, being a proposal automation tool, it is when the customer uploads their first proposal and allows the system to auto-match their knowledge library with questions in the proposal.  The time saved by auto-answering a lot of stock RFP questions is a big "a ha" moment.
  • Benedict Fritz
    Benedict Fritz Member Posts: 30 Expert
    First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The most rave-worthy onboarding moments I've seen are there's a mini a-ha moment towards the very beginning of the onboarding process. The customer isn't fully up and running yet, but they get just a taste of the value that's going to be delivered. It's hugely exciting, motivating, and keeps momentum rolling! Figuring out what that moment is, and how it can be delivered as early as possible can be super powerful!
  • James LaRiviere
    James LaRiviere Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Options

For us, we break down the launch into two phases. We have a "basic" launch where we get them live and they have a templated set up to get a feel of the system. They tend to be pretty happy at this phase as value is shown immediately for us due to the industry we're in.  The big Aha moment though is phase 2 which we have a week later. 

We analyze their usage and begin making recommendations to better use the platform. We get a great reaction to this for a few reasons. 

1: We use their data and habits to customize the solution to them, it doesn't feel like one size fits all.
    2: We are being proactive and they're excited to see we genuinely care about their success. 
    3: We tend to save them a substantial amount of time/money here vs launch week so they see immediate value.

------------------------------
    James LaRiviere
    Customer Success Leader
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-16-2020 08:01
    Subject: What is the moment in your onboarding/implementation that customers rave about?

This question came up on our CSM Office Hours yesterday and I'm curious to see if we can get some good examples coming through....

Jeff Breunsbach
    Director, Customer Experience | Higher Logic
  • Anita Toth
    Anita Toth Member Posts: 246 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I love this two-step approach @James LaRiviere. ? You take them from 'pretty happy' to 'aha' in 2 weeks with custom solutions just for them. That must be awesome to see their faces light up at that 'aha' moment.
  • Stefanie Wood
    Stefanie Wood Member Posts: 6 Seeker
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Many years ago, I was involved with completing RFPs for my company and yes, what a relief when those standard questions were pre-filled.  Nothing like the automation of today, but I can certainly appreciate the feeling!

Stefanie Wood
    Currently seeking my next opportunity in Customer Success Leadership
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-16-2020 10:23
    Subject: What is the moment in your onboarding/implementation that customers rave about?

For my company, being a proposal automation tool, it is when the customer uploads their first proposal and allows the system to auto-match their knowledge library with questions in the proposal.  The time saved by auto-answering a lot of stock RFP questions is a big "a ha" moment.

Brian Hartley
    Senior Director, Customer Success

Original Message:

Jeff Breunsbach
  • Alex Thebert
    Alex Thebert Member Posts: 9 Contributor
    GGR Blogger 2020
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hey James, These are fantastic insights -- I especially appreciate the proactive communication. What do you run your data through?

• Alex Thebert
    Alex Thebert Member Posts: 9 Contributor
    GGR Blogger 2020
    edited October 2020
    Options

The highest compliment I can get in onboarding is that it's "easier than expected."

For me, that means I've set clear expectations, communicated well, and anticipated any rough edges. Making sure we're asking for feedback on both the technical elements of onboarding and the general experience has been a treasure trove of improvements too! One of the most fascinating things we learned was that we were delivering "too much" for our mid-market segment. Retooling our offerings has both saved time and increased CSAT -- win/win!

• James LaRiviere
    James LaRiviere Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Options

Thanks Alex! 

For data it's a bit of a combination. We tend to create reports in Athena for the ones who speak Excel and want something to take home (most of our customer base). For reviews, progress calls etc we use Quicksight to create a visual. Hope that helps!

James LaRiviere
    Customer Success Leader
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-05-2020 12:47

Hey James, These are fantastic insights -- I especially appreciate the proactive communication. What do you run your data through?

Alex Thebert

Original Message:
    Sent: 09-30-2020 13:19

For us, we break down the launch into two phases. We have a "basic" launch where we get them live and they have a templated set up to get a feel of the system. They tend to be pretty happy at this phase as value is shown immediately for us due to the industry we're in.  The big Aha moment though is phase 2 which we have a week later. 

We analyze their usage and begin making recommendations to better use the platform. We get a great reaction to this for a few reasons. 

1: We use their data and habits to customize the solution to them, it doesn't feel like one size fits all.
    2: We are being proactive and they're excited to see we genuinely care about their success. 
    3: We tend to save them a substantial amount of time/money here vs launch week so they see immediate value.

James LaRiviere
    Customer Success Leader

Original Message:

Jeff Breunsbach