CS Staffing Model

Options
Paul Escobedo
Paul Escobedo Member Posts: 2 Navigator
I am looking to build a staffing model that:
  1. Justfy's my current staffing needs
  2. Provides triggering system that allows me to go to leadership with a headcount ask
I wasn't sure if anyone had a template of sorts that they've seen success with.

Thank you,

Comments

• Andrew Shoaff
    Andrew Shoaff Member Posts: 25 Thought Leader
    5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi Paul,

I've always managed headcount by a monthly target of $/management for CSMs.  I have a relatively simple headcount model I'm happy to share if you like.  Shoot me an email at shoaff@quorum.us if you want to see and I'll sanitize my version and put in a more sharable format.

Andrew Shoaff

------------------------------
    Andrew Shoaff
    Vice President, Customer Success
    Quorum
    Washington
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-05-2020 19:55
    Subject: CS Staffing Model

I am looking to build a staffing model that:
    1. Justfy's my current staffing needs
    2. Provides triggering system that allows me to go to leadership with a headcount ask
    I wasn't sure if anyone had a template of sorts that they've seen success with.

Thank you,

Paul Escobedo
    Director, Strategic Customer Success
  • Shari Srebnick
    Shari Srebnick Member Posts: 111 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi Paul, 

I also have a similar model I've used.  I started with a Top Down/Bottom Analysis first to determine the right ratio of accounts:CSM.  Next, I created a rolling ARR model that essentially shows you how many CSMs you'll need by month based on new business and churn.  So, for example, if you have 4 now and using the model (and your forecast) you will need 5 in May, you'll know to start the hiring process in late Feb/early March to provide time to find a candidate and ramp them appropriately.

Happy to explain further or share how I did it.
  • Paul Escobedo
    Paul Escobedo Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I joined and monitored this community since inception, but this was my first time contributing. I can't believe how quickly the community responded and how meaningful those responses were. 

Thank you both - I truly appreciate it!!
  • Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi @Paul Escobedo

Do you know and understand the right ration of ACV/ARR per CSM? Before then, you need to determine what time your CSMs need to deliver their engagement. While the "easy" bit is building the staffing model, you need the initial data to make informed decisions to start with. Is your CSM role high or low touch, what are they expected to deliver and execute on, do you have a segmentation model, is their focus satisfaction or growth, etc. Once you know and understand these, then the models provided by the likes of @Shari Srebnick & @Andrew Shoaff will really have relevant, accurate impact.

Happy to discuss further if needed.
  • Shari Srebnick
    Shari Srebnick Member Posts: 111 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hey Paul - 

To further Matt's point above re: the initial data - that's what the top down/bottom up analysis was designed to help provide.  I took into account almost everything Matt mentioned:  current and "ideal" Avg ARR per CSM, high touch model, our different segments and what it looks like for our region (US vs EMEA - which is quite different), etc.  This helped me determine accounts per CSM and ARR per CSM - all of which matched up.  Once I had the "work" completed, I moved onto the staffing model.  It is a great exercise to go through.