Feedback, Whats the point

Options
James Stuart
James Stuart Member Posts: 27 Expert
edited October 2020 in Metrics & Analytics
Last week as part of Feedback, What's the point, we looked at whose responsibility is it to action feedback. This week we are looking at Customer Feedback Metrics, how should we use them?

There are a variety of feedback metrics companies can deploy to obtain feedback from their customers such as NPS, CSAT, CES. These metrics will often allow your customers to give you a score from 1-5 or 1-10 to show if they are happy with your service but for me, this is not the whole picture. Without the reasoning behind the number, it is just a score at the end of the day.

It is important when sending out your satisfaction surveys you
· Have a comments section to allow your customers to elaborate on the score they have given you

· Follow up any negative comments with a phone call (where possible) to delve deeper with your customer to understand their negative feelings

· Track trends.

For me it is also important to keep a track of each customers score to see if it is increasing or decreasing. If your customers score is reducing this could indicate potential churn.

I would love to hear other people's thoughts.
#customerexperience #cs #data #cx #dataanalysis #feedback
#customersuccess

Comments

• James Stuart
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @Anita Toth Here is the 2nd edition in Feedback, What's the Point.

Would love to hear your thoughts. 
  • Anita Toth
    Anita Toth Member Posts: 246 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Options

Surveys are a great way to get a quick overview of sentiment and whether certain activities are working (or not). 

? agree that respondents should be able to write comments. This allows for an understanding of why the respondent chose the response they did. It also allows them to feel like their opinions or thoughts matter.

Closing the loop is critical not only for those who responded with a negative answer, but to everyone. This could be an email letting respondents know how the company has taken previous action on comments from surveys. People just want to know their responses have been heard and are making a difference.

@Steve Bernstein would love to hear your thoughts. ?

------------------------------
    Anita Toth
    Customer Retention/Churn Consultant
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-12-2020 08:16
    Subject: Feedback, Whats the point

Last week as part of Feedback, What's the point, we looked at whose responsibility is it to action feedback. This week we are looking at Customer Feedback Metrics, how should we use them?

There are a variety of feedback metrics companies can deploy to obtain feedback from their customers such as NPS, CSAT, CES. These metrics will often allow your customers to give you a score from 1-5 or 1-10 to show if they are happy with your service but for me, this is not the whole picture. Without the reasoning behind the number, it is just a score at the end of the day.

· Have a comments section to allow your customers to elaborate on the score they have given you

· Follow up any negative comments with a phone call (where possible) to delve deeper with your customer to understand their negative feelings

· Track trends.

For me it is also important to keep a track of each customers score to see if it is increasing or decreasing. If your customers score is reducing this could indicate potential churn.

#customersuccess

James Stuart
    Stockport
  • Steve Bernstein
    Steve Bernstein Member Posts: 133 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Adding a few quantitative PERSONA-BASED questions is necessary to determine the key areas ("drivers") of focus. Just because something scores low doesn't mean that an investment to improve it will deliver the best-bang-for-buck. An effective feedback platform will statistically derive the key drivers with financial linkage to show you the optimal path. Comments are good, but can suffer from recency bias (et al) and don't help you understand what's working/not-working across the various aspects of the relationship or experience.

Your suggestion to track scores longitudinally (from the same accounts and contacts) over time is critical. If you're running the program right you should certainly the feedback moving in the right direction. Don't try to view trends by combining feedback from different accounts, contacts, relationships, experiences, persona, etc... Your "feedback" platform should do this for you out-of-the-box.

And your suggestion to follow-up is also key. Nothing happens until you show up to address what they tell you, not to mention that you NEVER get root cause from a survey, but only by following up to understand what their expectation was vs. what they actually have experienced.  My favorite quote is from Oprah Winfrey, "I've talked to nearly 30,000 people on this show, and all 30,000 had one thing in common: They want to know: 'Do you see me? Do you hear me? Does what I say mean anything to you?"

BTW, there's a common myth in this line of work that adding more questions will reduce your response rate. To the contrary, we find that a 2-3 minute questionnaire yields a similar response rate to the traditional, B2C-oriented 2-question NPS approach. Look at your abandon rates (different metric from response rates) and understand if/where your customers are dropping off. We almost always find that poorly-positioned feedback requests cause customers click and then don't answer any questions after they see what your "survey" is all about, regardless of number of questions. As long as you're not being silly by asking irrelevant questions and creating a questionnaire that is longer than expected, and as long as you position the "What's in it for me" for a customer to respond (let them know how long it should take, and what they can expect in return for their participation), then you can expect the same response rate to 2 questions vs. 5-10. Don't just chuck a survey invitation email over the wall and expect high response rates: You are asking customers for the gift of the perspectives and time, so suggest everyone treats customers' "exposure" with the respect it deserves.

My $.02 based on the 20+ years I've been doing this... thoughts / comments / other experiences?

Thanks for tagging me, @Anita Toth, and for starting the discussion, @James Stuart.
  • James Stuart
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @Steve Bernstein @Anita Toth Thank you both for your note.

@Anita Toth By closing the loop you show you are listening. The customer is also likely to keep engaging with you as they are seeing the value too responding.

@Steve Bernstein For me "What's in it for me" is key. If a customer sees the value they will engage and respond will meaningful feedback which will drive change.

Thanks, Both for your input.

James Stuart
    Stockport
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-12-2020 15:27

Adding a few quantitative PERSONA-BASED questions is necessary to determine the key areas ("drivers") of focus. Just because something scores low doesn't mean that an investment to improve it will deliver the best-bang-for-buck. An effective feedback platform will statistically derive the key drivers with financial linkage to show you the optimal path. Comments are good, but can suffer from recency bias (et al) and don't help you understand what's working/not-working across the various aspects of the relationship or experience.

Your suggestion to track scores longitudinally (from the same accounts and contacts) over time is critical. If you're running the program right you should certainly the feedback moving in the right direction. Don't try to view trends by combining feedback from different accounts, contacts, relationships, experiences, persona, etc... Your "feedback" platform should do this for you out-of-the-box.

And your suggestion to follow-up is also key. Nothing happens until you show up to address what they tell you, not to mention that you NEVER get root cause from a survey, but only by following up to understand what their expectation was vs. what they actually have experienced.  My favorite quote is from Oprah Winfrey, "I've talked to nearly 30,000 people on this show, and all 30,000 had one thing in common: They want to know: 'Do you see me? Do you hear me? Does what I say mean anything to you?"

BTW, there's a common myth in this line of work that adding more questions will reduce your response rate. To the contrary, we find that a 2-3 minute questionnaire yields a similar response rate to the traditional, B2C-oriented 2-question NPS approach. Look at your abandon rates (different metric from response rates) and understand if/where your customers are dropping off. We almost always find that poorly-positioned feedback requests cause customers click and then don't answer any questions after they see what your "survey" is all about, regardless of number of questions. As long as you're not being silly by asking irrelevant questions and creating a questionnaire that is longer than expected, and as long as you position the "What's in it for me" for a customer to respond (let them know how long it should take, and what they can expect in return for their participation), then you can expect the same response rate to 2 questions vs. 5-10. Don't just chuck a survey invitation email over the wall and expect high response rates: You are asking customers for the gift of the perspectives and time, so suggest everyone treats customers' "exposure" with the respect it deserves.

My $.02 based on the 20+ years I've been doing this... thoughts / comments / other experiences?

Thanks for tagging me, @Anita Toth, and for starting the discussion, @James Stuart.

Steve Bernstein
    Head of Voice-Of-Customer Programs at Waypoint Research Group

Original Message:
    Sent: 10-12-2020 11:21

Surveys are a great way to get a quick overview of sentiment and whether certain activities are working (or not). 

? agree that respondents should be able to write comments. This allows for an understanding of why the respondent chose the response they did. It also allows them to feel like their opinions or thoughts matter.

Closing the loop is critical not only for those who responded with a negative answer, but to everyone. This could be an email letting respondents know how the company has taken previous action on comments from surveys. People just want to know their responses have been heard and are making a difference.

@Steve Bernstein would love to hear your thoughts. ?

Anita Toth
    Customer Retention/Churn Consultant

Original Message:
    Sent: 10-12-2020 08:16

· Track trends.

#customersuccess

James Stuart
    Stockport
  • Aarif Nakhwa
    Aarif Nakhwa Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback

@Matt Smith At this moment we are looking to collect NPS data only

@Anita Toth @James Stuart @Steve Bernstein Thank for your inputs
  • Anita Toth
    Anita Toth Member Posts: 246 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @Aarif Nakhwa  I hope it was helpful. I love talking about customer feedback, it's kinda my thing. ??