Conversation with the CEO

Options
Shari Srebnick
Shari Srebnick Member Posts: 111 Expert
First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
Hi GGR Fam,

I'm hoping this group can impart some of their wisdom on this topic.

Context:  My Org has been notoriously Sales & Marketing focused for many years.  CS has long been undervalued and misunderstood, and often treated as the "dumping ground" for any additional tasks.  As of last year, Sales and Services (CS/ProServ) roll up to the CRO and his focus is still mainly new business.  In most All Hands calls, the applause is always on new business; CS doesn't get specifically mentioned, they only talk about retention with performance/numbers/churn %.   Many feel discouraged and the lack of acknowledgement is obvious.

In yesterday's 2021 Kickoff/Pre Jan All Hands, all of the company's leaders (CTO, CEO, CRO, COO, CMO) discussed the overarching initiatives for the year and how they tie into our targets.  When it got to the numbers around ARR growth the focus was entirely about Sales.  Not a single mention of CS.  

At the close, the CEO asked if anyone had questions ... and guess who raised their hand?  ;)  I was super focused on driving home a point and not making it a finger pointing situation.  Basically, I highlighted that you don't achieve any of that ARR growth without CS, yet there was no mention of us at all.  Let me also add that 2020 turned out to be a great year for us SOLELY BECAUSE OF CS.  We have the numbers to prove it.  

TL; DR:  My CEO apologized and over explained - and now I have 1:1 time with him tomorrow.  He is a great guy and really transparent, so I want to make sure I maximize my time appropriately to get my point across.  I have some talking points written out, but any words of wisdom or suggestions would be appreciated.  

PS - Another reason I spoke out was because I felt that staying in comfortable in life gets you nowhere, and more importantly, what kind of leader would I be if I didn't live the same values and advice I give to others?  

Thanks everyone in advance!

Comments

• Sandra Guadagnoli
    Sandra Guadagnoli Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Nice going Shari, I absolutely agree that you should speak up and really happy you did.  CS Is often that 'dumping ground' until the importance of it comes to light with either a larger customer leaving, many customers not renewing, growth has flattened or the board/investor insists that this role is key.  CS is integrated with group in the organization and has direct impact, the voice of the customer is key in product growth, portfolio expansion, references, referrals, and I could go on.  I have faced many times where this is 'second' until it's make first.  Happy to talk further.  I hope your discussion went well!  Sandra
  • Pam Micznik
    Pam Micznik Member Posts: 50 Expert
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Congratulations @Shari Srebnick! I have the same challenges showing the value of Customer Education. Ultimately, we are all in sales, even internally. This means we always have to show them how we make their lives better, a vision of their perfect lives that require our help.

@Sara Bochino posted a fantastic framework that she created with @Nils Vinje. (See the conversation here.)

• Shari Srebnick
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thanks, Sandra!   The conversation went over really well today, especially once I provided historical context.  I think we're definitely moving in the right direction.
  • Shari Srebnick
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi Pam,

Thank you for sharing that conversation and highlighting Sara's framework - she is definitely a rock star!  I have that on my list to look at in the coming weeks.

That said, maybe I was unclear in my post, it certainly went longer than I wanted it to.  I clearly need to work being more succinct! In any case, let me clarify:  I wasn't having a conversation with the CEO at a client, I was having a conversation with MY CEO.  And this wasn't about customer education, it was about the fact that within my org CS has long been undervalued and underacknowledged,  while Sales has been put on a pedestal and applauded at every turn.  New business is great, but none of it matters if you can't retain it, and you certainly aren't achieving long term ARR Growth without CS.  

Nevertheless, the conversation turned out really great and I'm enthusiastic about the future.  

Cheers!