When is the last time your CEO spent time with your CSMs and asked for their feedback on how to sati

Options
David Ellin
David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
edited July 2020 in CS Org Conversations

All too often, executives get involved with Customer Success because of issues raise by the CS team.

You know when you're in a truly customer-centric organization by the effort your senior leadership puts into customer relationships - not for additional revenue but for driving success.

Does your CEO initiate engagement with Customer Success?

Comments

• Krista Roberts
    Krista Roberts Member Posts: 3 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

I have never talked directly with my CEO about Customer Success or have seen him directly involved in our initiatives.
    Would love advice on how to best engage! 

• Manny Ramirez
    Manny Ramirez Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

My only engagement with the CEO was due to the fact that he was the executive sponsor for a high profile customer I was managing and was RED due to an escalation. The great opportunity for me was that the CEO gave me complete autonomy to get all of the resources I needed to get the incident resolved.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

None yet. But to be fair....

1. I've only been with this company for 7 months.
    2. He has been our CEO for 3 months.
    3. We have 1000+ employees. It is probably difficult managing time with every department, so he likely only engages with C-level leadership.
    4. We do not have a CCO yet. A VP that roles into C-level leadership
  • David Ellin
    edited June 2020
    Options

One way would be to approach your CEO directly. That's easier in a small company than a large one. If you don't feel comfortable with that and report to a VP or another C-suite member, ask them.

First, it might be very insightful to gain the CEO's perspective on customer centricity.

Second, it enables you to articulate (without selling it) the value CS brings to customer relationships, satisfaction and retention.

Third, it opens up the dialog.

• Brian Hartley
    Brian Hartley Member Posts: 185 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

We are a small organization so fairly often.  However, it is primarily due to an expansion/upgrade that recently closed or something to that degree.  Not customer-centric 100% of the time

• Krista Roberts
    Krista Roberts Member Posts: 3 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks for the feedback and tips! This CEO is just, eh different. ;) 

It is not a comfort thing it is an accessibility thing. Even the other c-suite leaders need to go through an admin to schedule time to meet with him. And often meetings do not end up happening from what I hear. So bigger issues there. 

In the past I have had direct access to a CEO and had these conversations so just difficult not in this role. 

• David Ellin
    edited June 2020
    Options

I get it. It's a shame that some leaders make themselves inaccessible. it tells me a good bit about company culture.

• David Ellin
    edited June 2020
    Options

That's fantastic, Manny. Hopefully the CEO has stayed involved as the ES and you'll continue to build that connection.

• David Ellin
    edited June 2020
    Options

That makes sense, Kevin. I'm sure he's drinking from the fire hose.

• David Ellin
    edited June 2020
    Options

Yeah..I get it. For many CEOs, it's all about the expansion opportunities and really about the future success of the customer. Interaction is still interaction. Take it when you can get it.