LMS for client onboarding

Options
Amit Kumar
Amit Kumar Member Posts: 12 Contributor
edited August 2021 in Strategy & Planning

Hi team,

Is anyone using LMS for client onboarding?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

Tagged:

Comments

• Mark Flanagan
    Mark Flanagan Member Posts: 26 Expert
    First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Check out skilljar (www.skilljar.com), Amit.
  • William Buckingham
    William Buckingham Member Posts: 39 Expert
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi Amit, 

We do not solely use an LMS for customer onboarding, but we do use an LMS to expedite and improved the onboarding experience.  So we work with new customers to determine who at their business needs to become certified, and then part of their onboarding experience is taking the customer-facing LMS and getting badges for this.  Not only does this help with reducing Onboarding time and costs, but we also give them a certification badge which they typically share on LinkedIn - which creates additional bonus of increased exposure and word-of-mouth on LinkedIn. 

Depending on how simple or complex your product is, is what I would say determines how much of your onboarding process can be moved to an LMS.  If you are using a SaaS platform, I think a significant amount of time, time-to-onboarded, and costs can be saved by doing a great job of combining LMS and In-App notifications, tracking, and data.   If you can determine these X# certifications + these X# features are setup and used X number of times... that allows you to automate communication of progress and completion, and prioritize human engagement when progress slows, stops, or falls behind the ideal schedule.   Again, all that depends on the simplicity vs. complexity of your product and implementation process.  I would strongly advise creating a customer-LMS and in-app communication/tracking strategy in conjunction with each other.

Hope this helps. 

Will Buckingham

Customer Success Operations Manager, Enablement

www.CustomerSuccessEnablement.com

• Jeffrey Kushmerek
    Jeffrey Kushmerek Member Posts: 96 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Name Dropper
    edited August 2021
    Options
    William is correct here in his approach. That is the way to go. In terms of LMS, I like Appsembler, which is based on the open edx framework
  • Pam Micznik
    Pam Micznik Member Posts: 50 Expert
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi Amit,

Onboarding is a big term, with many steps and stakeholders along the way. Getting end users to learn and use your product requires a holistic plan where you map out the Customer Journey, with personas and figure out who needs to learn what, in what order, in what way.

This is why we say that "Customer Education scales Customer Success."

Let's talk!
  • Brittney Wilson
    Brittney Wilson Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Our flagship product is an LMS, so we use that to distribute  e-learning. We pair that with the community and in-line help. 

One area we are looking at doing is creating a structured onboarding program for new administrators to our system. Right now we have distributed the e-learning courses to their own LMS. Our next focus is mapping out what it looks like to put all our administrators on LMS for their training. This would allow them to get access to this content and our community sooner. 

We are also planning to leverage the integration between our LMS and community so we can gamify the onboarding experience with different badges and statuses based on how much of the onboarding has been completed.
  • Amit Kumar
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi William,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I am thinking on the same lines. LMS would be a part of onboarding. The onboarding experience will be a combination of Implementation manager + LMS. 

Any thoughts on using a vendor for this. As the in house would take some time.

Regards,
    Amit Kumar
  • Amit Kumar
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi Pam,

Please let me know if we can connect to discuss this.

Regards,
    Amit Kumar
  • Pam Micznik
    Pam Micznik Member Posts: 50 Expert
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Absolutely. I sent you a connection request here and on LinkedIn. PMicznik - LinkedIn