What's your definition of Customer Success?

Griffin Fuller
Griffin Fuller Member Posts: 10 Contributor
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations

I've heard many good definitions of Customer Success.  I'd love to hear yours.

Here's mine:  

“Customer success is ensuring the client reaches their desired outcomes by maximizing the value of the product being provided. Pair this with delivering a wonderful experience, and you have a recipe for retention."

Comments

• Ronni Gaun
    Ronni Gaun Member Posts: 6 Contributor
    Third Anniversary Photogenic
    edited June 2020

Always a fun topic @Griffin T. Fuller Here's mine:

Customer success is achieved through a series of activities, not always linear, that ensures the customer realizes the value they expected at the time of purchase and beyond. Their definition of value can evolve and change too.

• Andreas Knoefel
    Andreas Knoefel Member Posts: 73 Expert
    5 Comments
    edited June 2020

I have seen too many examples of wonderful experience ? retention. Here is mine:

"Customer Success is maximizing the recurring revenue stream in a profitable way". 

The critical success factors supporting this are:

1. A customer journey that maximizes customer economic value and achieves Time-to-Value quickly
    2. Customer outcomes you can achieve (solution fit)
    3. A homogenic customer experience that maximizes adoption all along the customer journey
    4. A customer that is equipped to execute
  • Jeff Yeger
    Jeff Yeger Member Posts: 13 Thought Leader
    edited June 2020

I've always ascribed to the Lincoln Murphy definition, simple as it may be - 

"Customer Success is when your customer achieves their desired business outcome while having their desired customer experience"

Zero focus on MY product, MY proposed outcomes, MY adoption. Because they don't care about MY product, they care about their KPI's and if working with me brings them further or closer to it :)

• Griffin Fuller
    edited June 2020

Great definition! @Ronni Gaun 

Love your last point - the customer's definition of value can evolve & change.  So true. 

• Jared Orr
    Jared Orr Member, CS Leader Posts: 53 Expert
    Fourth Anniversary 5 Comments Photogenic
    edited June 2020

Customer Success is where product value and client expectations meet. It is maximized through consistent activities that turn a new client into a long-term, happy client. 

Jared Orr

Customer Success Whisperer

• Griffin Fuller
    edited June 2020

Agreed, @Andreas Knoefel 

Customer experience alone does not cut it. 

If your product isn’t capable of achieving the customer's desired outcomes, they will leave, even if they have a great relationship/CX with you. 

I like your #3 point - it's important that the entire organization is aware that they are (either directly or indirectly) involved throughout the customer's journey and overall experience. 

• Griffin Fuller
    edited June 2020

Can't go wrong with the fundamentals @Jeff Yeger !

• Griffin Fuller
    edited June 2020

Great definition @Jared Spencer Orr 

Nothing quite like having an advocate! 

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited June 2020

Simply put, here's mine: Customer Success is whatever the customer tells you it is.

Yes, we can write a generalized definition but the bottom line is that different customers have different expectations. One might be time-to-value, another might be the feature of a platform that solve a problem. It can vary by customer and knowing that is important.

• Griffin Fuller
    edited June 2020

I like it @David L Ellin 

That's what I call putting the customer first!

• Andy Barton
    Andy Barton Member Posts: 18 Thought Leader
    edited June 2020

"Customer Success is a mindset that when effectively applied, creates significant and tangible value or outcomes for those involved"