How do you keep customers engaged during onboarding?

Options
Dina Shatner
Dina Shatner Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
Name Dropper First Comment

When it comes to user onboarding, engaging content is key to keeping users interested and motivated throughout the process.

Short videos can be a powerful tool in your content strategy. Here are some tips on how to use short videos to improve your onboarding experience:

1.  Use video to explain key features: Short videos are a great way to explain complex features in a simple, easy-to-understand way.
  2. Highlight real-life scenarios: Use video to showcase real-life scenarios that demonstrate how your product can be used to solve common problems.
  3. Keep it concise: Just like with any content, keep your videos short and to the point. Users are more likely to watch a 2-minute video than a 10-minute one.

What are your thoughts on using short videos to engage users during onboarding? How are you keeping your customers engaged?

Comments

• Heather Wendt
    Heather Wendt HLAdmin, Member Posts: 286 Gain Grow Retain Staff
    5 Likes First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Photogenic
    Options

@Dina Shatner - I love the idea of using videos...it makes your communication and instruction a bit different and more personal. During onboarding, engagement is so critical to successful adoption. Would love to hear how others are making a difference! @Mary Poppen, @Emilia D'Anzica, @Kimmie Harrington, @Jeffrey Kushmerek, @Rob Kagan, @Shareil Nariman, @Ryan McKeown, @Jordan Silverman, @Pam Micznik, @Jeremy Mulder - any suggestions or examples you can share here?

• bgilfill1
    bgilfill1 Member Posts: 12 Navigator
    First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

I am SO here for the comments on this one! 👀

• bgilfill1
    bgilfill1 Member Posts: 12 Navigator
    First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

The top comment about using videos never showed up for me, so all I saw was how to keep users engaged! I love Loom for those short videos and also for seeing insights to make sure users have viewed them. Great suggestion @Dina Shatner - although it used to break my heart when they didn't view the brief video.

• Amanda Watson
    Amanda Watson Member, CS Leader Posts: 31 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Likes
    Options

We have an entire library of short video tutorials (2 to 4 mins) and it is one of our customers' favorite resources. We not only use them for onboarding but also to engage existing customers while using our products. One of our most successful uses has been strategically embedding links to the videos in our product so users can get help right when they need it.

• Javed Maqsood
    Javed Maqsood Member Posts: 31 Contributor
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Comment
    Options

Another thought is to establish milestones during onboarding. Then formally celebrate hitting those milestones. Use something sensible as celebration that would make sense. This will definitely keep the clients engaged.

Javed Maqsood
    Advisor, Mentor
  • Jordan Silverman
    Jordan Silverman Member, CS Leader Posts: 109 Expert
    First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

We have a similar process to @Javed Maqsood. On the kickoff call we work with the customer to set timelines/milestones together. We then send reminders weekly on how the customer is performing on those (careful wording for those slipping) and celebrate when they are met on time or early!

Jordan Silverman
    jordan.silverman@usestarfish.com
    (914) 844-5775
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordansilverman/
  • laurenamullane
    laurenamullane Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    Photogenic First Comment
    Options

Does anyone have a framework they would be willing to share?

• Dina Shatner
    Options

Great point, @bgilfill1! I'm curious if you have found that certain types of content work better in video format than others. Are there any specific topics or themes that lend themselves particularly well to video? I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on this.

• Dina Shatner
    Options

Thank you for sharing your experience, @Amanda Watson! I think embedding links to videos within the product is a really clever way to provide help to users when they need it most. Have you noticed any particular trends or patterns in terms of which videos are the most popular or useful for your customers?

• Jeffrey Kushmerek
    Jeffrey Kushmerek Member Posts: 96 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Name Dropper
    Options

I do (I think) - just send me a note and I can share.

My top tips:

• be deadline driven (do these tasks this week).
    • actual outlined learning plan/onboarding plan - I rely on software for this and assign tasks
    • short videos (loom is a big tool for me)
    • Slack (YES but set boundaries)