Growing a Voice of Customer Program

Options
Brian Hansen
Brian Hansen Member Posts: 75 Expert
5 Insightfuls First Anniversary Name Dropper
Hello, GGR! 

I am looking to make our VoC program more substantial and official. We use NPS and CSAT today and capture product feedback in ProductBoard, so some of this is operationalized. I would like to take this a step further. 

If you were moving your VoC out of it's early stages into something scalable, what are the key steps you would be thinking about? Any experience/thoughts would be appreciated! 

Comments

• Dayna Trautwein
    Dayna Trautwein Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Options

Hey Brian! Following this thread because I'm also building this out at the moment. Time for us to catch up!

So that I'm adding some substance to the conversation, and while not a totally scalable program, but we're building out a functional customer advisory board and exploring community forums and events. We're earlier stage than y'all, but it's something that is also drives our advocacy program.

• Brian O'Keeffe
    Brian O'Keeffe Member Posts: 200 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Comment
    edited July 2023
    Options

• Brian O'Keeffe
    Brian O'Keeffe Member Posts: 200 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Comment
    Options

Love the topic.

• Evan Klein
    Evan Klein Member Posts: 12 Navigator
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Insightfuls Photogenic
    Options

Some thoughts:

• Listening posts at key touchpoints (i.e. Sales Win-Loss, Post-onboarding survey, key acct interviews, churn interviews, support ticket survey, CAB) used for continuous learning and improvement.
    • Reporting / insights / analysis shared with all members of the ELT so every leader considers how their organization can contribute to a differentiated customer experience
    • Strong closed loop processes, so customer feedback is acknowledged and acted upon
    • A focus on Detractor remediation to minimize churn risk
    • Activation / mobilization of Promoters so their advocacy is leveraged for sales, marketing, CS, etc.
    • Continuous reinforcement of the company culture of customer-centricity / service excellence (rewards & recognition, story-telling, hiring & advancement, etc,)
    • A VoC Championship Team - cross functional team of passionate CX/CS folks to help execute on many of these items
    • A neutral, 3rd party to assist where needed (objective, more candid feedback, unbiased analysis, application of B2B best practices, maximizing participation and engagement across all programs, etc.)
    • A mechanism to invite feedback from employees on what obstacles are getting in their way of providing better service (to internal and external customers), or ideas on what they feel management should do to improve the customer experience
    • Strong customer communication to share what the company is doing to make their experience better and draw the clear line from feedback (through surveys, interviews, in-app) to investments, priorities, roadmap, etc.
    • Strong messaging for sales to emphasize the company's commitment to CX as a clear differentiator

There are more but hopefully this is a good start. :)

Evan

• rdesmarais
    rdesmarais Member Posts: 14 Navigator
    First Comment 5 Insightfuls Photogenic
    Options

If you wish to expand your VoC program, you may wish to consider another customer sentiment metric which is refreshingly different than NPS, CSAT and CES. It's called the Customer Perceived Value (CPV) metric and it is offered by a company called TheySaid. It's worth checking out because unlike the other metrics, the CPV is actionable and not a lagging indicator so you can be much more proactive along the customer journey.

I am not able to post links yet but if you Google "TheySaid", you will find them (theysaid.io)

• Brian Hansen
    Options
    @rdesmarais, I actually went to the Nuffsaid/They said podcast to listen back to VoC episodes! I'll check them out. Thanks. 
  • Brian Hansen
    Options
    Thanks, @Evan Klein. Those are great nuggets. I'm wondering how to break them down into "tactical steps 1-5" type of view. 
  • Anita Toth
    Anita Toth Member Posts: 246 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @Brian Hansen. This diagram might help you with scaling your VOC.

The best approach is to add one new activity at a time. The biggest mistake people make when scaling their VOC is to add in more monologue-type activities (surveys) and not enough dialogue activities (interviews, focus groups, community groups, etc.)

Since you're already collecting NPS and CSAT, the best thing is to add in something that captures deeper data. Look at the list under "Dialogue" to help you determine which activity is the best one for you.

Once you've implemented it and it's running smoothly, then you want to add in another VOC type activity.

The best way to determine which activity you should add next is to ask "What data gaps do I have?" and "Which of these VOC activities is the best one to fill that gap?"

@Dayna Trautwein thought this might be helpful for you too.

Let me know! 🙂

• Amy Long
    Amy Long Member Posts: 3 Navigator
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

Thanks for the recommendation @rdesmarais!!!

I head up CS at TheySaid and would be happy to share more with anyone interested. We are evolving VoC to make it easy for you to set up a journey based campaign and also introduce CPV (Customer Perceived Value) as a compliment to NPS and CSAT.

Our Journey based campaigns allow you to gather actionable feedback from your customers and while we have quite a few customers using us for their "tech touch" or pooled CS segments - we are introducing it into more Enterprise segments to implement a hybrid approach.

Email me for more info or a quick demo: amy@theysaid.io

• Brian Hansen
    Options
    That's helpful advice, @Anita Toth. I like the idea of going slowly and smartly. Thank you!