Customer Resourcing

Options
Doug Perenchio
Doug Perenchio Member Posts: 1 Navigator
Photogenic

Our organization is looking to evaluate what the experience should like for the various segments of customers ie high, medium, low and digital touch. I am struggling with how to format this conversation and curious if others have developed tools or templates to guide the conversation? I will have leaders from all the various functions, AE, ARM, CSM. TAM and want to make the best use of their time, keep everyone on track to the goal. I would love to see tools that others have used, best practices or bits of wisdom on how to be most successful with this.

Comments

• Anita Toth
    Anita Toth Member Posts: 246 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Hi @Doug Perenchio

A couple of questions for clarification

1. which CX metrics are you currently collecting?
    2. are you looking for tools to start the discussion or are you also asking how to evaluate the CX for each of those segments?

• Brian O'Keeffe
    Brian O'Keeffe Member Posts: 200 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Comment
    Options

My advice is to start with digital. Look across all segments and define the digital journey. Add additional elements (an assigned CSM, business reviews, etc...) and expand. The biggest mistake I have seen over and over is limiting digital to a segment when automation and the customer journey should be identical for all customers.

• Andrew Shoaff
    Andrew Shoaff Member Posts: 25 Thought Leader
    5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

Hi Doug,

I agree with the comments above - start with the customer journey for each segment. For each stage in the journey (awareness, sales, implementation, adoption, etc) look at the customer inputs and outputs and then map to how those are impacted by internal teams (sales, CS, product, etc).

In terms of a simple doc/framework, I do the following:

a. put the customer journey stages as columns in a spreadsheet

b. Then add rows for: customer actions, customer outcomes

c. Fill in the rows for what customers need to do and what their hard outcomes are for each phase

d. Then create rows for each dept in your company and add in the responsibilities and measures of success for each dept.

The above is pretty simple, but it allows the entire company to align behind the customer outcomes and see what they need to do and how their work is dependent on and for the other depts.

Happy to chat anytime if it's easier. andrewtshoaff@gmail.com

Andrew

• Grant Jones
    Grant Jones Member Posts: 11 Contributor
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

I think the experience you want to deliver to each segment comes down to what resources you have to help your customer achieve the typical desired outcomes for each segment. Of course in theory all customer segments would get the same treatment and achieve the same outcomes, but that's not reality. So, in my opinion it's really all about deciding what resources you can allocate to each customer segment and then building your journey around that.

For example, you might say that "Tech touch" customers are going to be our lowest paying and therefore lowest allocation of resources - so you might not dedicate a FTE to managing the relationship but instead rely on a pooled CS motion, you may point them to on-demand resources/training/community in cases where a higher touch customer would have a meeting scheduled to review, you might automate more parts of the journey with emails + in-app messaging.

Full transparency, I'm with Planhat - a customer success platform. Most CSP's out there will have templates and guidance when building out these journeys.

• tejash_24
    tejash_24 Member Posts: 23 Navigator
    5 Likes First Comment 5 Insightfuls Name Dropper
    Options

Hi @Doug Perenchio

Correct me if I am wrong. What I understand is you want to highlight the impact of customer segments to respective departments.

As mentioned by friends here, I would first put all customers in to segments like high touch, medium, low touch etc. Create customer journey map in terms of their stages like implementation, adoption , power user etc

And based on that you will be able to come close to impact of these segments for respective teams in your company