Moving overseas for a promotion?

Kevin Mitchell Leonor
Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations

Would love to hear from people who weighed a promotion overseas versus waiting for an opportunity domestically. What factors did you consider? What did you ultimately choose when presented with the opportunity?

Comments

• Alex Farmer
    Alex Farmer Member Posts: 62 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment GGR Blogger 2021
    edited May 2020

As an American in London who is able to pick up and leave relatively easily, its all about the opportunity overall for me.  And also understanding the size of the "pond" in your location - will you be a preeminent CS voice in that region? That's great but will you have peers or mentors you can learn and grow from in that pond?  Obviously quality of life, cost of living, and tax burdens are factors as well.  Happy to chat more!

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited May 2020

definitely something I am considering the possibility in a few years. Also need to weight what my market stateside is 3 years from now.

• Arit Nsemo
    Arit Nsemo Member Posts: 13 Contributor
    edited May 2020

I moved to London for two years and made the choice because having international experience just diversifies your ability to serve customers. Having been a part of CS communities in both the States and abroad, I can say that it's hugely helpful to see how different regions are evolving differently. I'd echo @Alex Farmer (by the way, Alex -- I think we met at SaaStr Europa last June), and look at overall opportunity in terms of where you want to go in your career. If you're a student of customer success, any different experience is going to provide value for you.

I've moved back to the States now, and already have super valuable knowledge about potential expansion overseas for my current company. If you can swing it in all the adult-life ways, I wouldn't hesitate to take the opportunity, just negotiate the hell out of your contract to ensure it's as favorable as possible for you.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited May 2020

great advice, Arit. Thanks

• Gabriel Fallas
    Gabriel Fallas Member Posts: 53 Expert
    First Comment
    edited May 2020

The key thing to consider for me, is the same as when you're buying a new house: Location, Location, Location. 

Here's all the things that I see falling under this: 

• Is this a place where I can see my family flourish and I can have a good work-life balance? 
    • Is this a place where I can network and grow at a personal and professional level?
    • Is this is place where I'm being exposed to new and challenging perspectives/worldviews? 

I would say that nowadays, an international experience can be achieved through a variety of venues:

•  I could be a CSM with clients in different regions of the country/world and be required to travel occasionally.
    • I could also be living in home state but working for a British Think Tank, a German Tech Company or a Japanese Automotive Company, and also visit headquarters for specific meetings/events.
    • I could be a full-time remote worker and travel the world as I please.

Does it align with your life mission and vision? Then go for it.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited May 2020

interesting points. do you find that your examples are just as marketable as someone who spent time in EMEA or is it accepted at a discount?

Overall vision, I am looking to be able to build a CS program. Seems that leadership roles are more abundant in EMEA. I do have one solid prospect domestically that may materialize in a few years.

For me, EMEA would be a temporary home, US will always be home.

• Gabriel Fallas
    Gabriel Fallas Member Posts: 53 Expert
    First Comment
    edited May 2020

Sorry for the late reply - @Kevin Mitchell Leonor . It was one of those weeks where work never ended!

I do believe it is just as marketable. While certain regions are not as appealing and renown as others, the ability to transition to a new location, new culture, (usually) new language, and successfully building something speaks volumes of the individual. 

• Scott Hopper
    Scott Hopper Member Posts: 70 Expert
    First Comment
    edited May 2020

@Kevin Mitchell Leonor, opportunity is everywhere and  especially in CS.  Lots of upward mobility. Leadership in the space keeps evolving. The distance between the first Manager of CS "job" and "getting to build out. has happened fast for a lot of people. There are also, degrees of build out.   

At least looking at the scope of what you had  in earlier managerial roles, feels like to me you could step into a Directors role of responsibility somewhere. Maybe even consider a support or services directors level role as they are cousins to CS.  I'm not saying, don't consider abroad but may be other ways to get closer to your goal.  

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited May 2020

I feel the same way. I am cutting my teeth on developing programs for a large enterprise CS since I have the experience developing it for a 25M ARR org too. When I feel I could prove that my methods scale in any maturity model, I will be looking for those opportunities