Ideal CS Org

Matt Myszkowski
Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
edited August 2023 in CS Org Conversations

Hi All,

Been thinking about this for a while, and I know this will vary hugely on size and maturity of your CS organisation and your company. But if you could create your dream CS org, alongside the CSM what roles do you always want to have?

• CS Ops?
  • CS Marketing?
  • CS Engineer/Architect?
  • Something else?

Comments

• Felipe Lewis
    Felipe Lewis Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited July 2020

I am not a big fan of up/cross selling being part of a CSM list of roles and responsibilities, hence, CS Development as an addition of my ideal CS org.

• gurd3v
    gurd3v Member Posts: 70 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited July 2020

CS Marketing/Ops would be great for orgs that require a tech touch. Naturally a great support team can help CSM's be less reactive and more proactive.

I'd throw in a Customer Experience team to handle severe escalations, renewals and churn requests (depending on industry, size and scale). 

Thoughts?

• Matt Myszkowski
    edited July 2020

I like the CX piece - thought about putting it in my original post but believe CX encompasses CS. Another topic though!

• gurd3v
    edited July 2020

Totally! I guess from my experience, CX being its own independent supporting arm to CSM's helps tremendously. 

• Brian Hartley
    Brian Hartley Member Posts: 185 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

This is a great question.  In a perfect world I would like to add both a CS Ops and CS Marketing resource to my team.  It would also be cool to have a production support engineer live on my team to power through technical issues/support (as support lives on my team today)

• Will Pagden
    Will Pagden Member Posts: 99 Expert
    edited July 2020

I personally would love to see something like the below:

CRO

Director of CS

CS Marketing Exec

CS Ops 

CS Architect 

CS Team Leads

CSMs 

Ideal world and in a large organisation. Smaller I would keep it much leaner and ensure cross-collaboration with marketing and operations.

• Andreas Knoefel
    Andreas Knoefel Member Posts: 74 Expert
    First Comment
    edited July 2020

First of all I aim for contact consistency for my customers. That means that my CSM's are the one throat to choke for the entire customer journey after Sales & Marketing took an unqualified lead to a first signature. This includes expansion, upsell and cross-sell. @Boaz Maor and @Jay Nathan published the noteworthy exceptions for large complex enterprise agreements.

Secondly I analyzed what companies with best-in-class Net Revenue Retention (140) do differently from the rest (86). Their CS org includes Support, Implementation, Onboarding, Community Mgmt, Ops roles for CS, Data Science, SME'e and Architects who support the CSM's as well as dedicated CS Marketing.

Of course many CS organizations start smaller(er). I outlined the various stages I have managed in one of by blog posts: https://cstuners.com/the-journey-to-operational-excellence-customer-success-from-early-teams-to-mature-operations/

• Marco Innocenti
    Marco Innocenti Member Posts: 18 Thought Leader
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

As you said Matt, this will vary for sure based on the maturity of the org.  In addition to the ones you have listed the two more, I would consider would be; CS Enablement and a CS Analyst.

• gurd3v
    edited July 2020

In your recommendation, what would be the role of both? 

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

I guess for me, I have only seen value in a CS ops person.

I would need more information on the roles and responsibilities on CS Architect and CS Marketing.

Marketing should already be working with Customer Success so I'm not sure of the value of having a dedicated Marketing person. Who does the CS Marketing team report to?

• Jay Thonour
    Jay Thonour Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    edited July 2020

Depending on the complexity of your products, I would also like to see;

CS enablement

CS solutions architect (presumably this is similar to what you mentioned, as well)

• Shelby Czarnota
    Shelby Czarnota Member Posts: 11 Contributor
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

IF you are in an organization where the business can run and own the technology supporting the operations, experience and the field, I would throw that in the list with the ops, analysts, adoption marketing / services.  Speaking from experience, the technology solutions in our case under IT, is pretty far away from the actual business and doesn’t always foster speed and agility in the ever shifting dynamics of customer delivery and needs. 

• Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited July 2020

yes!

• Alex Farmer
    Alex Farmer Member Posts: 62 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment GGR Blogger 2021
    edited July 2020

Community manager to own all one-to-many content strategy and voice of customer program!

• Jason Noble
    Jason Noble Member Posts: 5 Seeker
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

Lots of great replies and most of the big roles and functions covered. Depending on your organisations, I'd definitely bring in support and potentially even professional services (for onboarding and more). The CS ops one is a big one and you could even expand that to include a wider commercial ops piece.

• Marco Innocenti
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

CS Enablment for on-boarding your new CSMs and other roles that roll into the org.

CS Analyst for a dedicated resource to managing CS specific KPIs.

• Marco Innocenti
    First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

We have a dedicated CS Communications person.  They work closely with marketing, but it allows us to really own and manage our priorities and comm strategy.  We do not call that CS Marketing though.

• Alex Farmer
    Alex Farmer Member Posts: 62 Expert
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment GGR Blogger 2021
    edited July 2020

We call it community manager, same deal - frees up so much CSM time because they can use the content to engage and drive our message forward.  Similar to the relationship between sales and marketing

• David Jackson
    David Jackson Member Posts: 36 Expert
    First Comment
    edited July 2020

Matt,

Value delivery product manager - to design and productise the value process.

CS psychologist - to advise on how to motivate customers to make the changes needed to achieve value, including how these techniques can be productised.

• Matt Myszkowski
    edited July 2020

Talk to me about the Value Delivery Manager role - I wonder if this is similar to my CS Architect role.

Designing & scaling the value & outcomes conversations.

• gurd3v
    edited July 2020

Makes sense! We put the onboarding responsibility split among existing members of the team so it's more hands-on practical learning. Our NEX (New Employee Experience) program pulls in SME's in different orgs and functions to train individuals as they get started. 

The CS Analyst in our org had been responsible for putting together data sets to answer some complex questions from the team. 

Great thoughts!

• Scott Hopper
    Scott Hopper Member Posts: 70 Expert
    First Comment
    edited July 2020

If I growing and have the money.  Some tactical teams are a must. People who can step in and fix major screwups. People who can deliver well beyond the demo and are not beholden to consulting practices. 

A competitive analysis driven team who can speak to the value of your product over your competitors and speak with authority to the FUD.

Perhaps a quality team, that can drive closed loops across the many pieces of CS.  

• David Jackson
    David Jackson Member Posts: 36 Expert
    First Comment
    edited July 2020

Matt

Sounds like it.  Value Delivery Product Manager is the person/team responsible for the design, maintenance and implementation of the process used to deliver value to customers.  If you think about it, this is a 'service product' and the disciplines of product management (understand needs, develop solutions, launch and drive adoption) are very relevant.  It also fits in the trend that you know I favour about building the value delivery process as a flow in the product, ie product-led customer success.