What's your End Goal?

Sebastien Venancio
Sebastien Venancio Member Posts: 9 Seeker
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations

Hey GGR community! 

Quite a simple question, but as someone always thinking about my next steps, I'm wondering what others aim for. What is YOUR End Goal related to CS? What vision are you trying to achieve or what role are you trying to reach?

Comments

• Jared Orr
    Jared Orr Member, CS Leader Posts: 52 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited July 2020

Hi @Seb Venancio My end goal as a CS professional is to become a Chief Customer Officer and oversee all customer success operations/efforts in an organization. But more than just a title and personal achievements, I want to be able to play a role in helping inspire organizations all around the world in adopting a more customer-centric mindset. 

I know that answer is pretty general but I'm sure as I grow in my career as a CS professional, my vision will become more fine-tuned. 

Jared Orr

Customer Success Whisperer

• Will Pagden
    Will Pagden Member Posts: 99 Expert
    edited July 2020

Interesting question @Seb Venancio and one I think of a lot. Since early on in my career I have wanted to be a Chief Customer Officer. But as I have grown into roles, coached and mentored others I've discovered for me (and many others) having a "title" goal isn't enough. Especially as the CS landscape continues to expand we see a large number of roles opening up and new titles coming to the market.

For me, its around vision, running a customer-centric operation within an organisation that really cares about our customers, delivering them undeniable value and showing them we care. By keeping that vision, whatever "title" I have, I will feel satisfaction. 

• Nandkishor Tripathi
    Nandkishor Tripathi Member Posts: 18 Thought Leader
    edited July 2020

I don't go by the designation name and value more as to what role is worked upon and the how many life's I can make better.

Provide a service as such so they become friends for life and not just acquaintances. Create a pool of team who take time to listen someone's problem without auto understanding what they mean.

One Statement:  Value others perspective, share happiness and keep it authentic.

• Ronni Gaun
    Ronni Gaun Member Posts: 6 Seeker
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited July 2020

Awesome prompt @Seb Venancio My end goal is to bring standardization (not rigidity) to tcustomer success as a philosophy, discipline and practice. IMO we’ve come so far as a CS community yet our interpretation of CS is wildly disparate. I’m not suggesting cookie cutter CS org dynamics, templates for playbooks, customer journeys and the like rather a consistent narrative that we all subscribe to and protect. Much more to be said and discussed which is why GGR is so great!

• Sebastien Venancio
    edited July 2020

Yeah, I suspected for many the CCO title looks like an end goal, but I feel like the title in itself is almost meaningless. I guess i'm being influenced by Simon Sinek's "Infinite Mindset", but what was a goal before seems less relevant now, hence why I'm asking this question to see how others are envisioning their future :)

Another question then for you would be "how would you define success in inspiring organization be more customer centric?"

• Sebastien Venancio
    edited July 2020

I like that Will, and I'm aligned with you that, as I grow, a vision to achieve is more important than pursuing a title (even though let's be honest, the title is a good way to be recognized and feel valued).

It's interesting that your vision is focusing on bringing value to an organisation, especially considering the average tenure of a CCO is 26 months, one of the lowest of the C-suite. Genuine (and maybe naive) question, are you not concerned that it would become "meaningless" to switch companies every 2 years to push for customer centricity (with all of the changes and fights that it would entail)?

• Sebastien Venancio
    edited July 2020

Thank you Nandkishor, I believe you are right, by following and staying true to this kind of life statement, you can feel accomplished any time. 

But playing the devil advocate, do you think it would be enough for you, even if you weren't recognized for it by a title or via any kind of value recognition?

• Nandkishor Tripathi
    Nandkishor Tripathi Member Posts: 18 Thought Leader
    edited July 2020

I agree sometime we get demotivated with the fact if we don't see recognition or some sort of value of your actions.

We need to understand dopamine of individual that drives them to excel to their work and life. I believe in simplicity and act with positive mindset. This has worked out well but tricked me at certain places as well :)

It does mean I do not recommend the value of recognition, it works for individual who get motivated with this.

My motivation is to see happiness around me and serve.

• Sebastien Venancio
    edited July 2020

Great answer Ronni, it's nice to see that you have a very clear vision of what you want to achieve! I feel like by attaching yourself to a vision and a community, it is somewhat easier to keep track of your goal and feel less disturbed by changes that could happen in one company or environment. I'm looking forward to see your goal comes to life!

• Ronni Gaun
    Ronni Gaun Member Posts: 6 Seeker
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited July 2020

It is going to be a group effort @Seb Venancio!

• Will Pagden
    Will Pagden Member Posts: 99 Expert
    edited July 2020

Good follow up question @Seb Venancio, in truth no. I am very driven and passionate about what I do. But on top of that I love empowering others to drive change, if I can come in, change the thinking of one organisation, drive great outcomes for their customers, I am going to want to move on and do it somewhere else.

I dont look at my career based on tenure, I look at it in a way that I will provide my value, drive the changes that will set the company up for success and then move on.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited July 2020

My end goal is to never end. My customer's needs will be ever evolving. I plan to change along with them.

• Sebastien Venancio
    edited July 2020

That's a good way of thinking :) Are you familiar with Simon Sinek's Infinite Mindset? your statement reminds me of that: He argue that people are more successful when they are not considering things are being finite (players are coming and going, you don't know everything and everyone and the rules are changing), so you should not focus on an end goal, but follow a Just Cause. 

I like this perspective, but it can also be reassuring and comforting to have a "final goal" in mind as it can feel like the "fight" is never ending without one.

• Lauren Mecca
    Lauren Mecca Member Posts: 29 Expert
    edited July 2020
    I love that this question is an opportunity to highlight different paths as a CS pro!

Always been energized working with individuals and small groups to make positive impact. So CSM was a good fit - I started in CS after business school, which helped me become a trusted advisor to stakeholders in any business. My end goal is actually to coach business leaders on customer centricity. I'd love to help more businesses instill customer centricity practices early and scale sustainably, with customer impact in mind. A different way of going about it but I share this mission with @Will Pagden and @Jared Spencer Orr