CS Leadership Presentations??

Options
Farkhanda Stewart
Farkhanda Stewart Member Posts: 4 Navigator
edited July 2020 in CS Org Conversations

Hi CS Leaders! I'm in interview processes with a few companies and they've asked (all 3 of them) for leadership presentations. Two are open-ended, one is about exec sponsorship. Are you guys and gals seeing this as a trend or have any tips on how to ace a leadership presentation during an interview cycle. Wishing you all well! 

Comments

• Jeff Wayman
    Jeff Wayman Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Are there any specifics on what they are asking to be delivered?

Personally, I've interviewed at the Director level, and never been asked to give a presentation on leadership. In fact it's so rare I'm asked about my approach to leadership, it tends to be a sign for me a culture won't fit for me. I tend to connect with companies that are in the early to mid-startup phase. Maybe that makes a difference.
  • Farkhanda Stewart
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thanks for your response Jeff! I think you pointed to an important fact. Two of the organizations are very well established - one has 600+ employees and the other has nearly 2000.  One is for a Director role and another is a VP role.

In terms of specifics - one has asked me about creating a presentation/discussion around exec sponsorship in the land and expand model. The other one was completely open-ended so I focused on areas I knew would resonate with the company and the stage they were at, as well as my 90 day plan. 

I'm curious if others have seen presentations pop up in interview cycles for larger organizations...

• Warwick Brown
    Warwick Brown Member Posts: 14 Contributor
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi Farkhanda - I've uploaded a presentation I created on Executive sponsorship that might help point you in the right direction.

Good  luck with the interviews!
  • Brian Hartley
    Brian Hartley Member Posts: 185 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hey @Farkhanda Stewart I see this popping up the more senior level you get OR if the job requires a lot of presentations as part of the job (in my old role at a market research firm, presenting was part of the interview process even as a Project Manager)
  • Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @Warwick Brown you are the best! Thanks for sharing this with the community.

------------------------------
    Jay Nathan
    Founder, Managing Partner | Customer Imperative
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-04-2020 11:52
    Subject: CS Leadership Presentations??

Hi Farkhanda - I've uploaded a presentation I created on Executive sponsorship that might help point you in the right direction.

Good  luck with the interviews!

Warwick Brown
    Account Manager Tips Ltd

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-03-2020 15:24

Thanks for your response Jeff! I think you pointed to an important fact. Two of the organizations are very well established - one has 600+ employees and the other has nearly 2000.  One is for a Director role and another is a VP role.

In terms of specifics - one has asked me about creating a presentation/discussion around exec sponsorship in the land and expand model. The other one was completely open-ended so I focused on areas I knew would resonate with the company and the stage they were at, as well as my 90 day plan. 

I'm curious if others have seen presentations pop up in interview cycles for larger organizations...

Farkhanda Stewart

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-03-2020 06:39

Are there any specifics on what they are asking to be delivered?

Personally, I've interviewed at the Director level, and never been asked to give a presentation on leadership. In fact it's so rare I'm asked about my approach to leadership, it tends to be a sign for me a culture won't fit for me. I tend to connect with companies that are in the early to mid-startup phase. Maybe that makes a difference.

Jeff Wayman

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-28-2020 22:00

Hi CS Leaders! I'm in interview processes with a few companies and they've asked (all 3 of them) for leadership presentations. Two are open-ended, one is about exec sponsorship. Are you guys and gals seeing this as a trend or have any tips on how to ace a leadership presentation during an interview cycle. Wishing you all well! 

• Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have to admit I see this frequently in EMEA, and needing to present on various aspects of leadership too.

I am unsure I have the magic answer to "acing" it though. 

I actually like it - the "provide a 90 day plan" is lazy recruiting for me. I think I touched on this in a post elsewhere recently - 90 days for me is about listening and learning only, very little else.
  • Farkhanda Stewart
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thanks Brian! Appreciate the input and the interview presentations I had this week and last week were certainly great learning opportunities and an opportunity to showcase my presentation skills (bc its definitely part of the role). Cheers!
  • Farkhanda Stewart
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thanks @Matt Myszkowski, appreciate the input. Based on the two I just completed, I think working in your own style within the parameters of the exercise was a win for me. I am sure they get a ton of content specifically addressing the question but maybe not being as fun/interactive. I made sure to make both sessions interactive, calling on the audience for input, with questions about their programs and views on specific recommendations I made.