Transforming relationships from Sales-led to Success-led

Options
Thomas Fortier
Thomas Fortier Member Posts: 15 Thought Leader
First Anniversary Photogenic
edited August 2023 in Strategy & Planning

In situations where you have business development reps that have longstanding relationships with clients and tend to act autonomously in setting up and conducting meetings, what have been some effective strategies you have used to establish the CSM as the "trusted advisor", and therefore the primary point of contact? How have you gotten your sales team on board with participating in and following a Success Plan, where sales discussions with existing clients should be closely coordinated?

Comments

• Brian Hartley
    Brian Hartley Member Posts: 185 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hey @Tom Fortier , in my experience I have always spoken directly with the head of the sales team on behalf of the CSM (in the event that the CSM hasn't already tried to have a conversation).  I guess a big consideration would be the sales team's incentive plan....it appears they stick around because they are getting comped on something?  That could also change behavior as well.

• Thomas Fortier
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi @Brian Hartley, thanks for the reply. Yes, that is a spot-on assessment. In this scenario, the sales team is incentivized on all new revenue, but do not participate in any churn. If those conversations occur between sales and client at the wrong time or before a client is fully healthy on all parts of their subscription, clients historically will swap one product for another. While the sales person gets paid on the new product, net growth is muted by the cancellation of the other product(s).

• Brian Hartley
    Brian Hartley Member Posts: 185 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Interesting.  Well based on your situation I would think that starting at the top to develop and enforce a strategy could be the best way.  Otherwise as a sales rep, why would I change my behavior if I can keep getting paid on product swaps.  Good luck!

• Thomas Fortier
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, Brian!

• Ronald Krisak
    Ronald Krisak Member Posts: 48 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi @Tom Fortier , I ensured that the CSM role was well understood across the entire company organization.  We have Customer Success as part of every kick-off with a customer so they understand our role, as well as establish the CSM as their point of contact.  I also have regular cadences with the Sales team to ensure we stay in lock-step on any deals or issues that require involvement across sales & the customer success team.  Hope that helps.

• Alex Turkovic
    Alex Turkovic Member Posts: 61 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

I think that a big part of the equation is driving the value of a well run customer business review, not just with the customer but internally as well.

If those quarterly customer business reviews contain lots of great adoption and product usage data, along with suggestions for improvement and operational changes the customer can make to drive efficiency - you are likely to make raving fans of the customer. 

Any smart sales person will see the massive value in that because it then becomes a scenario where the CSM is essentially making the sale for them, freeing them up to go after new logos.

All of that said, running mock business reviews with the sales teams and/or distributing recorded customer calls as part of a 'Day in the Life' training session is a great way to educate the sales force as to the value of what a great CSM can bring to the overall customer relationship.

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Tom Fortier, my approach is not to dissimilar to Brian's. I've always felt that a great partnership between Sales and CS is vital. That said, there are sales reps who are proprietary and want to own the customer relationship. They brought them in and don't want to hand off ownership.

Taking a broader view, the company (from senior leadership down), is either customer-centric or revenue-centric. You can be both but one must take priority. Ownership should follow centricity.

• Effie Mansdorf
    Effie Mansdorf Member Posts: 76 Expert
    First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

I personally never understood why a sales rep would want to go on to deal with the intricacies of managing a customer rather than dedicate their time to new sales. 

The rule of thumb should be:

• Sales - any commercial, contractual or budget discussions. Actively owns renewals and up/cross sells.
    • SCM - No money or commercial discussions ever. Actively contributes to renewals and up/cross sells. Owner of the customer ( and everything that comes along with it).

This starts with a process of sales to CS handover, both internally and externally with the customer. I would be happy to share a playbook for that if anyone is interested.

• Thomas Fortier
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi Effie - agreed that the sales to CS handoff is critically important to nail. I'd love to see your playbook, as I am thinking about two distinct scenarios: 1) New Client handoff, and 2) existing client handoff. The second scenario is delicate in many cases, if the sales person has a well-established relationship with the client and the CSM (or even the CSM role) are new to the client. Does your playbook look at this scenario?

• Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

Good question - and already some good responses and advice.

Firstly, the behaviors from both the sales and CS teams start at the top with each respective leader, so ensure you get to a common understanding with your sales counterpart on roles, responsibilities and accountabilities.

Saying that, my lead with this will always be - is it easier or harder to sell to existing customers that are happy, engaged and successful? If yes, then the role of the CSM can ensure all of this if you trust him/her.

• Tammy Krieger
    Tammy Krieger Member Posts: 13 Contributor
    edited June 2020
    Options

I love this discussion as it is a challenge and great opportunity when the Sales and CSM functions work well together. It is like magic.

In addition to the great points already made I would add once you have defined and worked through all of the above the next part is having great CSMs show up and walk the talk. After time the actualization of the value seen displayed in real life will bring faster transformation. I think this is the hardest step because being the tip of the spear to effect behavioral change is exhausting. I always try to remember my "why".