Career Transition - Seeking Advice

Options
Cristian Acosta
Cristian Acosta Member Posts: 1 Navigator
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations
Hi all,

I've recently parted ways with my last employer (March 2020) and have been on the job hunt since. I'm coming off 2.5 years of working in the staffing industry - primarily in Business Development and Recruiting.

I decided to leave after realizing that staffing wasn't what I wanted to do long-term. However, there were elements of my job that I enjoyed, such as building and maintaining relationships, proving strategy to achieve client goals, and in many ways serving as a strategic advisor for all of my accounts. As a result, I've had a strong interest in Customer Success and transitioning into a CS role.

The obstacle I've run into is not having a technical background or SaaS that most companies seek.

What advice or suggestions would you provide as someone who is trying to make a jump into tech from a non-traditional background?

Thank you in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• Diane Johnson
    Diane Johnson Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I made this move 6 years ago.

First, it was challenging.  I did not get any responses from applying to jobs online. No one was interested.

I finally found a position when I was able to connect with a friend of a friend of a friend at one of my target companies. I took him to lunch and convinced him I would be a good fit. He passed my resume on. It turned out he was a super star at the company. 

During my first interview, the hiring manager told me I didn't have any of the skills he was looking for, but he gave me a chance because I was referred.  Well, I got that job and was really successful. 

I know it's harder today due to Covid, but if you want to change industries I think that the only way to do it is to make personal connections and have lots of perseverance.

Good luck!

------------------------------
    Diane Johnson
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-12-2020 10:51
    Subject: Career Transition - Seeking Advice

Hi all,

I've recently parted ways with my last employer (March 2020) and have been on the job hunt since. I'm coming off 2.5 years of working in the staffing industry - primarily in Business Development and Recruiting.

I decided to leave after realizing that staffing wasn't what I wanted to do long-term. However, there were elements of my job that I enjoyed, such as building and maintaining relationships, proving strategy to achieve client goals, and in many ways serving as a strategic advisor for all of my accounts. As a result, I've had a strong interest in Customer Success and transitioning into a CS role.

The obstacle I've run into is not having a technical background or SaaS that most companies seek.

What advice or suggestions would you provide as someone who is trying to make a jump into tech from a non-traditional background?

Thank you in advance!

Cristian Acosta
    Seeking my next opportunity in Customer Success

• Tim Gilhooly
    Tim Gilhooly Member Posts: 17 Thought Leader
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thank you for your input Diane!

Cristian, I am right there with you. I am focused on landing a role as a CSM with a reputable Saas Company. Glad to connect and discuss what is working/not working etc...

Here are a few tactics I have implemented in the last 3 weeks:
    • Joining a group like GGR is a great start
    • Read/Listen to The Customer Success Professionals Handbook 
    • Obtain the CSM manager Certification through SuccessHACKER or Pulse/Gainsight.
    • Search for CSM's on Linkedin and reach out.
  • David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    This can be an extremely challenging time to search for new roles. I've talked with several transition coaches and recruiters trying to help get people placed. The two constants I'm hearing are 1) hiring managers are not willing to take risks on people who have not 'been there-done that' in the past 5 years; and 2) switching industries will add a year onto a job search.

It's a real shame about both of these. First, there are some fantastic folks out there who have great skills that can be transformed from role to role or industry to industry. Second, those hiring managers are closing themselves off to learning best practices from other industries and applying them to their own industry.

Keep the faith, continue to network, and keep at it. GGR is a great community to hear about open roles and I'm sure there are some leaders within this community who are willing to give people a chance in a new role.

David
  • Heather Rosefsky
    Heather Rosefsky Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi Cristian,
    It's hard isn't it! I too have a diverse background, but I see it as a strength. What I have found useful is to up-skill. Get certified in something most relevant to where you want to go. Or learn something new just out of curiosity and see where it takes you! It's a worthwhile process. ~ Heather