Account Management Models

Options
Karen Bros
Karen Bros Member Posts: 4 Navigator
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations
Hi, Community of Brilliant Minds.

I am in the process of defining the Where and When of the various roles that play in our Account Management model. I'm interested to hear from others on 2 topics:
  1. Does your organization use a more hip term than Account Management model? I'm hearing buzz terms like Buddy Mapping, Pods, and Client Outcomes. Is anyone using this terminology? If so, tell me more!
  2. I'm looking for metrics or data that support how an Account Management model benefits the client. Does anyone have data or know of a source?

Thank you!

Karen

Comments

• William Buckingham
    William Buckingham Member Posts: 39 Expert
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hi Karen,

Great questions, and while I don't have direct answers,  I am happy to lend my perspective - however, just one perspective and I'm sure far from complete. 

1.  I've had colleagues at other companies use a "Pods" model where you have the same CSM, AM, and Support/Professional Services members on a single portfolio.  Even in those models I usually still see the classic CSM and AM titles.  I think for a will there some companies were trying to get away from the "Account Manager" title due to customers knowing that 9 of 10 times means that person is selling you something.   Personally, I think nomenclature for the sake of hiding a sales effort falls on its face in any long-term customer model.  Eventually your customer figures out "That title sells things, that title escalates things, that other title negotiates the contract every two years, etc."

2.  I don't know of specific Metrics that support an AM model benefitting the client.  I feel like part of your question gets at the Should I have BOTH a CSM and an AM on each account?  What I will say is that the CSM & AM combination reduces risk of any friction between the CSM and Client.   This helps the CSM never lose title of "Trusted Advisor".  There are pros and cons to having both a CSM and an AM.  When done right it can really be killer combination, but when done poorly it can drastically up your costs per client and create confusion for the customer having to determine who is who/who does what at the company.   

I think from a data perspective, you will need a very macro-level data source as various business models and SAPs drastically change the math and determination of which is best.  Good luck on search for this answer. 

Will Buckingham

Customer Success Operations Manager, Enablement

www.CustomerSuccessEnablement.com