CSM Tiers (aka CSM1 and CSM2)

Options
Karen Bros
Karen Bros Member Posts: 4 Navigator
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited August 2023 in CS Org Conversations
I'm looking for insight from anyone who has deployed a CSM Tier model for strategic, complex or heavily matrixed accounts. Specifically, have you had a CSM1 (leading client strategy and retention) and CSM2 (executing on client deliverables) service a client? What has or hasn't worked with this model? What are the pros and cons? How have you measured success and client impact?

Comments

• Andrew Shoaff
    Andrew Shoaff Member Posts: 25 Thought Leader
    5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi Karen,

I haven't seen this done exactly the way you are describing, ie CSM I / II.  But I have deployed CS at large, complex organizations via different role specialties and functions.  For example there may be Tech Account Managers, dedicated support, and a variety of other roles all reporting up through a CSM who acts more like a project manager and relationship owner.  You could easily call these things CSM I, II and so on, but titles can help clarify boundaries to clients.   This is a fairy complex topic so more than happy to jump on the phone anytime to walk through how I've done this sort of thing and who I've seen other co's do it.

Andrew
  • Laurie Barlev
    Laurie Barlev Member Posts: 15 Thought Leader
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi. I would be interesting in discussing this as well. We have a set of clients that I need more than our large clients but are being managed mostly the same way. Would love some input on how others manage these top tier clients.

Please let me know if you would be able to share.

Laurie Barlev

Founder, Barlev Success

www.linkedin.com/in/lauriebarlev

laurie@stanfordalumni.org

• Sam Olorenshaw
    Sam Olorenshaw Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    First Anniversary
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hey Andrew and Karen,

I'd also be interested in joining this conversation. We think about our Customer Success team in terms of 'User Success' and 'Buyer Success' -- another way of delineating between 'CSM 1 and 2'. 

We're early in this journey, so keen to hear any thoughts you both have!

Sam
  • Andrew Shoaff
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi all,

Looks like we have a good group for a larger discussion.  Should we schedule a call?  Happy to facilitate.  Can you all respond with times you are available and a good email?  If there is a common 30-45 min block in the next week I'll send out invites.  Thanks. 

• Laurie Barlev
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Andrew,

Thanks for suggesting. Here are times that would work for me:

M 5/17: 4:30-5:30PM ET
    T 5/18: 11-12PM ET, 4:30-5:30PM ET
    W 5/19: 12-1PM ET, 2:30-3:30PM ET
    F 5/21: 12-2PM ET

I look forward to discussing with you all.

Sincerely,
    Laurie

Laurie Barlev

Founder, Barlev Success

• Karen Bros
    Karen Bros Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thanks for the offer, Andrew.

As of now, I can make the following work:

Tuesday 5/18: 5-5:30pm EST

Wednesday, 5/19: 12-1pm EST

Karen Bros
    Director, Client Success

The Marcus Buckingham Company, an ADP Company
    8350 Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 200 // Beverly Hills, CA 90211
    c
     612.719.8008 // tmbc.com

Creator // Stimulator

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
  • Sam Olorenshaw
    Sam Olorenshaw Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    First Anniversary
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi team

Best for me (being in New Zealand!) is after ~4.30pm EST. 
    I will work to accomodate a time that you all choose, however! I do not have a preferred day next week. 

Many thanks
    Sam

Sam Olorenshaw
      Customer Success Manager

M  +64 27 212 8620   W  commonledger.com
      A

Level 3, 2-12, Allen Street, Wellington, NZ
        image |  image
  • Andrew Shoaff
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the time slots.  Not surprisingly it's a bit hard to find a time for everyone in the short term.  But 12:00pm EST next Wed, 5/19, looks like our best bet.  Sam, I know this may be hard for you.  My apologies.  I've created a Zoom meeting for us.  Info below.  Please me know if you can't get this to work for you.  You can also email me directly and I'll formally add you to the meeting invitation.  Here's me:  andrewtshoaff@gmail.com

https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=NG1lc3U4bG5rZ3BxOTczMmU0cDFtNm9zMjkgYW5kcmV3dHNob2FmZkBt&tmsrc=andrewtshoaff@gmail.com

Looking forward to speaking to you all next week.

Andrew
  • Andrew Shoaff
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi all,

Quick reminder about our call today at 12:00pm EST.  Zoom link is below.  If you have any trouble accessing the meeting please email me and I'll invite you directly from the meeting:  andrewtshoaff@gmail.com

Thanks

Andrew
  • Andrew Shoaff
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Join Zoom Meeting https://us05web.zoom.us/j/84520041120?pwd=VC9scVVYZ2ZsVVZZa2ZCdWNBb3h6Zz09

Meeting ID: 845 2004 1120
    Passcode: 0G9Rg7
  • Harish Maiya
    Harish Maiya Member Posts: 12 Contributor
    edited May 2021
    Options

I would like to know on this topic as well. Sorry to join the part late.

Was this session recorded? any plans to have further discussion?

• Jeff Breunsbach
    Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
    5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Andrew Shoaff any learnings to share back with the community??
  • Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hey @Karen Bros,

Interesting question - if I understand you correctly then yes I have expereince of this, albeit to cover a multi-geo enterprise customer. We, at Autodesk when I was there introduced a model for complex customers where a "primary" CSM would lead the account strategy but was supported by a "secondary" CSM, or even CSMs.

What I would say, you have to get buy-in from your CFO/FD as this could become a real additional cost not budgeted for but if you can somehow tie it back to improved retention, or increased predictability of retention then it is worth doing. Key is having a strict governance model both for how your account team will work and also how regional customer stakeholders will engage with your regional/secondary CSMs.

I will see if I can find a copy of the governance model we had in place.
  • Sunil Nair
    Sunil Nair Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I've seen this done a couple of ways:
    1) At Anaplan: They have a Customer Success Manager / Director, who is supported by a pod of technical account managers. The TAMs execute on 'run', so that the CSM can drive 'change'.

2) At Oracle: A Customer Success Executive on strategic accounts, with CSMs supporting individual pillars/services.
  • Laurie Barlev
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Matt Myszkowski I woud love to see the governance model you had in place -- even if you can sketch out on a high level. I am thinking about this model but am concerned about how to split out the responsiblities clearly.

@sunil nair Would you share any learnings from your experiences from Anaplan and Oracle? What worked, what didn't, how did the actual day to day play out?

Thanks!

Laurie Barlev

Founder, Barlev Success

• Sunil Nair
    Sunil Nair Member Posts: 7 Seeker
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Both work well. The fundamental idea is to carve up the value chain, with focus on the relevant touchpoints at the appropriate level. So you'd have someone looking after an individual service in a business unit - this person is plugged into that business unit, ensures that they are connected to the appropriate business and IT owners. The CSE at Oracle would be plugged into the governance at the overall account, ensuring that there was decent oversight of all the different services in an account. The key (as always) is good communication between the teams - ensuring that there is a good flow of information both ways, good reporting and governance.

The Oracle model works well for a company that offers a host of different services. Oracle could have ERP, HCM, POS, Clinical Trials, IaaS/PaaS - there's a multitude of services, and there's no way one person could be a CSM across that breadth. So you have a CSM covering their pillar, and the CSE that handles governance across the board.

The Anaplan model would work well for a single product/service - even if there are multiple engagements.