Customer Maturity Model

Options
Amit Kumar
Amit Kumar Member Posts: 12 Contributor
edited October 2023 in Customer Journey

Hi guys,

I am working on preparing a Customer Maturity Model. If anyone can help me with a template or any ideas, what should I consider in this?

Tagged:

Comments

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2020
    Options

When building your model, consider whether your customers can go backwards in the maturity model. It’s something we discussed in the Enterprise room of CS Leadership Office Hours a few weeks ago.

Examples of customers going backwards might be adopting a new product and having to learn, onboard, and adopt it. Another example may be due to turnover at the customer where you have new contacts having to start with products that have been installed for a while.

I‘ve heard from some that they don’t allow for customers going backwards, others do. I guess that‘s dependent upon whether your maturity model is based on the overall customer company or the contacts within the customer’s organization.

• Mahesh Motiramani
    Mahesh Motiramani Member Posts: 21 Thought Leader
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Amit Do you mean a "Customer capability" type model where your assess customer's capabilities (over time, and on key dimensions) to absorb your product/service and derive value from it?

• Amit Kumar
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Mahesh Motiramani thank you for your reply. Yes, a similar type of model. Where we can assess clients capabilities around the product.

• Mahesh Motiramani
    Mahesh Motiramani Member Posts: 21 Thought Leader
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi @Amit - thanks for confirming what you're intending to do.

We assess the capability maturity of our customers for not just around our product but around that need or domain or area. So, for eg. if the need is better Service management, the model looks at the capabilities in a product agnostic manner.

We have 5 maturity levels in our model as shown below. 

We have 6 dimensions on which we assess the customer and assign a maturity level:

1. Strategy
    2. Organization and Governance
    3. Architecture
    4. Development or Delivery
    5. Operations
    6. Community and Evangelism

On each dimension, we have indicators/markers for each maturity level. As we interview customers, based on their responses, we check off the markers which ends up putting customers at a specific capability level for that specific dimension, and eventually into a spider chart.

Hope this helps.

• Amit Kumar
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Mahesh Motiramani this is great help. Thank you.

• Dave Epperly
    Dave Epperly Member Posts: 15 Thought Leader
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2020
    Options

@Mahesh Motiramani well done.

• Scott Morgan
    Scott Morgan Member Posts: 24 Thought Leader
    First Anniversary
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Here is one of our models: