CCSM - how did you obtain this credential, and what inspired you to pursue it?

Matt Vadala
Matt Vadala Member Posts: 47 Expert
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations

I come across many people who have obtained or who are now posting they are a CCSM. How have any of you obtained yours? Is SuccessCoaching the only service who provides it?

Comments

• Sidd
    Sidd Member Posts: 32 Expert
    edited June 2020

Hey @Matthew Vadala , I haven't yet posted but I did get certified through Gainsight. They offer 2 courses, basic and advanced. I personally learnt a lot from both the courses and understand the  usual CS jargon such as TTV (Time to Value), NRR (Net Retention Rate). The courses give you a detailed overview of CS as a function and also introduces you to concepts such as the various facets of Customer Lifecycle , Customer Journey mapping, Success plans, etc.

• Matt Vadala
    edited June 2020

thanks for this tip!

• Sidd
    edited June 2020

Sure, Check it out. I've heard Success Hacker is expensive though.

• Jan Young
    Jan Young Member Posts: 21 Thought Leader
    First Anniversary Photogenic Office Hours Host 2022 GGR Blogger 2022
    edited June 2020

@Matthew Vadala @Sidd I just looked online at Gainsight, but they are not accepting new people for their CS online courses, just Admin/ Developer courses. That's disappointing. I'm taking Success Coaching CS 101 right now. It's pretty good, but they did not mention TTV as a metric in their metrics overview. Their CS 101 doesn't discuss Customer Journey mapping, but I found a course on LinkedIn about it.

• Matt Vadala
    edited June 2020

As far as other industry certifications go, there is a capstone exam to certify knowledge which comes at a separate cost. Is the course cost inclusive, and at it's conclusion you're certified for the level offered by the course? Or is there a separate exam to have to pay to take? My research has only shown me courses.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    Kevin Mitchell Leonor Member Posts: 248 Expert
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2020

Gainsight and Successhacker. My company did not provide Customer Success training so I went out and got my own

• Scott Smith
    Scott Smith Member Posts: 15 Thought Leader
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited June 2020

Hey @Sidd , I checked before posting as when I went through the SuccessHACKER Level 1 it was actually very reasonable. It does however look like they have recently changed the pricing. It still appears to be a little less than the Gainsight Pulse+ program. 

• Scott Smith
    Scott Smith Member Posts: 15 Thought Leader
    edited June 2020

Hey @Jan Young , I am curious if you may have been looking at the Gainsight University  program which has since been replaced with the Gainsight Pulse+ program. My personal opinion is each program has its advantages. There is also the Practical CSM program you may want to check out. 

• Laura Vautour
    Laura Vautour Member Posts: 5 Seeker
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2020

I have done the CCSM 1 certification. When you go to sign up, it ends up being $49, which I felt like I could swing. I found it to be worthwhile b/c I've been doing customer success my entire career, but this put the terms and lingo around everything for me. I am debating whether to do the rest of the CCSM progression. FWIW, you may be able to find some funding out there to pay for this kind of training especially if you are a covid casualty like me. I'm interested in hearing more comments from others, very helpful!

For those that have done, are doing the CCSM certification courses, are you listing it in your linkedin headline in addition to showing the certification in the certification area? 

• Sidd
    edited June 2020

Ahh okay @Scott Smith , I wasn't sure if Level 1 would be apt for me considering its basic. I saw their trainings, workshops and the constant promotions - it was around $990 or something.

• Phyllis Windham
    Phyllis Windham Member Posts: 9 Seeker
    edited June 2020

Hi @Matthew Vadala ,

I received a CS Leadership certification through Tri-Tuns, Inc.  There "Customer Success Masterminds" program (fairly new program) is subscription based and is ongoing training in CS, if you prefer to continue even after you receive your certification.  The subscription also includes joining some Instructor lead discussions/meetups and the certification is included in the price as well.  There are two separate tracks, a cost for early CS career professionals and then one that continues on for leadership best practices if that's your focus.   The founders of this program are two entrepreneurs, Jason Whitehead of Tri-Tuns and Sue Nabeth Moore, both with over 20 years of related experience.  Check out Jason's profile and reach out to him directly if you're interested in learning more about this program.  I found it helpful.  Let him know I referred you. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonwhitehead/

• Matt Vadala
    edited June 2020

Thanks, I'll look into this. Though looking for something preferably not subscription based while currently being out of work and only trying to first break in to the CS field

• Jared Orr
    Jared Orr Member, CS Leader Posts: 52 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited June 2020

I received my first CCSM from https://adopttec.com/?ref=cd25b4

Check it out!

Jared Orr

Customer Success Whisperer

• Phyllis Windham
    edited June 2020

@Matthew Vadala I'm actually freelance and out of work right now, looking for full-time work so I understand.  I see@"Jared Spencer Orr" responded also.  He's recommending the same program.  

• Shari Srebnick
    Shari Srebnick Member Posts: 111 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2020

The Success League also offers a certification, in addition to other learning tracks and individual sessions.  I've worked with Kristen Hayer many times in the past few years and have nothing but great things to say.  I've used them for 2 different onsite events for our team, and I've also had some leadership training 1:1 with Kristen.  Highly recommend.  Last, I'll also throw in another vote for SuccessHacker.  

• Andreas Knoefel
    Andreas Knoefel Member Posts: 74 Expert
    First Comment
    edited June 2020

Unfortunately there is no industry standard yet like you have with the PMP from the PMI consortium.

I had great success with TheSuccessLeague's certification program: https://www.thesuccessleague.io/training. It is rooted in research on what actually increases commercial success, not just what everyone is doing. (Believe me, there is a difference). In addition, it has a Leader and a Practitioner track that are in sync, so that there is no gap between strategic vision and tactical execution.

I have seen too many CSM's go through a program and get some "funky ideas" that are not in line with the goals their leaders set.

• Phyllis Windham
    edited June 2020

Agree there is no industry standard yet.  The Customer Success Association along with other leaders in the industry are working on that as we speak.  

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited June 2020

whoa. would love to hear those funky ideas if you recall any.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited June 2020

I've known Jason Whitehead but did not know he also works on this CS cert.

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited June 2020

as far as being an industry standard, i know there are many jockeying for position to be the one. I've actually advised on a couple of them. In my opinion, I would like to see an hours of competency requirement similar to a number of certifications out their like PMP for example. It holds more weight than just being someone who can pass a test. Yet, it does make it a much harder barrier of entry like project manager is. Eventually as the field matures, that is a direction i would like to see since it actually provides a compensatable certification like others do.

• Matt Vadala
    edited June 2020

@Kevin Mitchell Leonor I can assure you there are plenty of recruiters and hiring managers who are doing their part to keep a number of people out of the position, else I think I would have had more of a shot at landing a spot than I have so far 

• Kevin Mitchell Leonor
    edited June 2020

sad, but true. 

• Phyllis Windham
    edited June 2020

Agree @Matthew Vadala.  I've had some challenges myself and I have some great experience in the field.

• Phyllis Windham
    edited June 2020

Yup...Jason Whitehead!  Check this out!  https://adopttec.com/