How do you introduce CSM's role?

Options
Effie Mansdorf
Effie Mansdorf Member Posts: 76 Expert
First Anniversary
edited August 2023 in CS Org Conversations
How do you introduce the CSM role to your customers on decks and kickoffs?

- Trusted Advisor
- Your company advocate

What else do you add?

Comments

• Shari Srebnick
    Shari Srebnick Member Posts: 111 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hey Effie,

I don't overcomplicate it.  

In the Intro email from the AE to the new customer, the CSM is introduced as .. their CSM.  I'm less concerned about titles and more focused on setting expectations around what the CSM is here to do.  Also, our intro email is structured by categories like "Success" and "Growth", i.e. CS and Account Management.  It looks a little something like this, for the CSM:

"Finding Searchmetrics Success:
    Nancy Smith, cc'd, will be your dedicated Customer Success Manager and primary contact.  They will be your long-term strategic partner helping you leverage the data and driving you towards achieving your organic search goals.  They will lead your team through the initial onboarding and provide ongoing guidance throughout the partnership, while helping you to organize your team structure within Searchmetrics."

The CSM reiterates this in the Partnership Kickoff call as well.
  • Ashton Liu
    Ashton Liu Member Posts: 29 Expert
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Options
    To differentiate from other roles (onboarding, training, support), we often describe CSMs as a customer's ongoing resource/primary contact for strategy and best practices. I am very curious how others do it as well! 

Ashton
  • Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Domain expert
    Strategist
    Connector

Someone who will be working to understand your goals and how to best leverage our products to achieve them.
    On Sep 24, 2020, 11:30 AM -0400, Effie Mansdorf via Gain Grow Retain <community@gaingrowretain.com>, wrote:
    How do you introduce the CSM role to your customers on decks and kickoffs? - Trusted Advisor - Your company advocate What else do you add? ... -posted to the "Customer Success Leadership Community" community
    Gain Grow Retain

Customer Success Leadership Community

Post New Message
    How do you introduce CSM's role?
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Effie Mansdorf
    Sep 24, 2020 11:28 AM
    Effie Mansdorf

- Trusted Advisor
    - Your company advocate

What else do you add?
    #CustomerSuccess
    #Roles&Responsibilities

------------------------------
    Effie Mansdorf
    Global Head of Customer Success
    ------------------------------
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed one or more tags associated with this message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

-------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 9/24/2020 11:28:00 AM
    Subject: How do you introduce CSM's role?

- Trusted Advisor
    - Your company advocate

What else do you add?
  • Ed Powers
    Ed Powers Member Posts: 180 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary 5 Likes
    edited September 2020
    Options
    "My job is to ensure your success and satisfaction throughout our business relationship."
  • Yanira "Janita" Sesniak
    Yanira "Janita" Sesniak Member Posts: 53 Expert
    edited September 2020
    Options
    This is the same on our end as well @Shari Srebnick!
  • Yanira "Janita" Sesniak
    Yanira "Janita" Sesniak Member Posts: 53 Expert
    edited September 2020
    Options

I use the same talk track as @Shari Srebnick and do emphasize the expertise my teams brings to our company and the customer from their previous industry experience and emphasize the phrase "trusted advisor" for sure. We say the talk track while having this slide up in our Kickoff call as well. :)

Your Customer Success Manager

• Andrew Schneider
    Andrew Schneider Member Posts: 6 Seeker
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I tend to use the following bullet points when introducing myself to a new customer:
    • My job is to ensure you receive maximum value from the platform. I can help you do that by understanding your overall business objectives and connecting them to platform features and capabilities
    • I have a background in ecommerce and CPG, so if you want to get nerdy and tactical about selling to XYZ retailer or ecommerce strategies, I love doing that also. (...I do this because it opens people up, tells them I know what they're going through in their day jobs, and can usually get some good insight on their actual goals in these conversations....)
    • I'm not going to be the technical expert. We have a full Support team to help with that, and you would want to leverage them before me for those types of questions (....this is specifically to separate my role from day-to-day support issues....)
    • I will work with you on a Success Plan, connecting your goals to the platform tactics...and we'll use that as our guiding light throughout our relationship (...this puts the focus on the Success Plan and touches on it just enough, usually w/ an image of it, so the next time I bring it up they've seen it before...)
  • Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Options
    My tongue in cheek response is " we keep the promises your sales person makes". This usually breaks the ice and I then build on that...

The role of the CSM is to ensure you realise the maximum value from your investment in the solution. The CSM will connect you with the right people, the most relevant resources and access to the data to ensure you achieve your outcomes.