Experienced consultant wanting to break into CSM!

Jennifer Bell
Jennifer Bell Member Posts: 4 Navigator
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations
Hi everybody,

To introduce myself, I am Jen and I am eagerly looking to break into the MarTech SaaS industry, focused on Customer Success.

I recently qualified as a certified Advanced Customer Success Professional with Gainsight, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My experience spans from founding and running my own marketing and business strategy agency, to collaborating with global C-suite management as a trusted business advisor for Kantar.

The problem I'm finding is that most CS roles, even the most junior, require you to have a few years' experience as a CSM. But, my determination to break into the MarTech sector is strong and with my can-do approach and ability to quickly learn technical skills, my aim is to swiftly prove my worth as a valued and fun-loving team member.

If anyone has any winning tips or is/has transitioned into the sector, I would love to hear your stories, thank you!

I am based in Reading and am looking for opportunities in the London and Berkshire areas.

I'm always willing to jump on Zoom for a chat over a coffee or in person if you're in London or Reading.

Thanks and I look forward to being an active member of the network.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sylvie Woolf
    Sylvie Woolf Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    GGR Blogger 2022
    edited October 2020
    Welcome to the world of CS! You've made a great career choice already.

I'd recommend looking at some of the roles that commonly move into CSM after 6-18 months. I see a lot of movement from Support, Implementation (provided it's low-tech, high-touch), CS Associate, BDR/ADR into CSM. I'd recommend looking at large companies as they will tend to have more of an established program with quicker access to upward mobility into CSM. Make your intentions known during the interview process to get a feel for how frequently they promote internally.
  • Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Hi Jennifer,

I am currently the VP of Customer Success EMEA at SAP, although I leave my role in a few weeks.

Your profile for our CX suite of products including marketing cloud would be very interesting, and as a consultant you bring great skills and experience not just to the role of a CSM, but to my wider team in areas they may not have those skills.

We do not have a role available currently and due to Covid, probably won't until next year. I advise to connect with my UK & Ireland Regional Director, Adam Lee who is actually based near Reading and he can keep you informed of any changes to our requirements.

Hope this helps.
  • Jennifer Bell
    edited October 2020
    Thanks, Sylvie. I have been looking at CSA and CSE roles but I will also look into the sales and support routes too - thank you! I feel a little like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place some times because the CSM roles want good SaaS experience and the entry-level jobs may view me as too senior and, I dread to say it, but maybe too old (at 39) for their entry teams. I will let you know if I have any success with the alternative entry routes.

Best wishes,
    Jen
  • Jennifer Bell
    edited October 2020
    Hi Matt, 

Thank you for your message, I will reach out to Adam now. It would be an incredible opportunity to work at one of the world's most renowned SaaS companies. The customer success stories on your website, the innovative way customers use your products and your exceptional Glassdoor reviews all indicate your CSM function is baked into the entire organisation and best-in-class.

Your LinkedIn profile is also very impressive, you certainly buck the trend that men can't multi-task! I really admire the campaign work you do too, it's so important and now more than ever. 

Are you able to tell me what your next exciting role will be or is it still at the confidential stage? Either way, best of luck with what you do next! 

Many thanks for your connection and direction.
    Jen
  • Matt Myszkowski
    Matt Myszkowski Member Posts: 143 Expert
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited October 2020
    Hi Jen,

No worries - and good luck! SAP are a great company, do lots of amazing things but still have lots to improve in their Customer Success offering

I am off to join a company called Cision to be their VP of Customer Experience (Customer SUccess, Customer SUpport, Implementation & Onboarding, etc.).
  • Jennifer Bell
    edited October 2020
    Well, that's also good to hear because if an opportunity with SAP did work out, a challenge is much more interesting!

Cision sounds like another exciting role and in an evolving media space - hope it's a great success. 

I will wait to hear back from Adam and if anything progresses further down the line, I will let you know. 

Have a great rest of the week.
    Jen