Where else outside of GGR have you been able to resources CSM talent?

Options
David Nedohin
David Nedohin Member Posts: 4 Contributor
Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations
Hey gang, just curious what other channels outside of GGR have people used to either find good team members, or perhaps what you used to find your current role?

Comments

• Jeff Heckler
    Jeff Heckler Member, CS Leader Posts: 80 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment Office Hours Host 2022
    edited August 2021
    Options

In the past 18 months, I grew a CS Dept from 15 to 50 without hiring anyone from social media or community networks I was a member of.

Additionally, in February of this year, of the 22 hires I had made, 21 did not have strict CS experience - some had account management experience.

I hire for mainly three things: character (internal drive, hunger for autonomy), growth mindset, and culture.

CS is so new and ever evolving that the rest can be coached, mentored, onboared, continuously trained, and co-learned.

For seasoned and veteran postions (CS Ops Manager, Team Leads, new managers), I promoted from within 11 out of 12 times.

• Rob Kagan
    Rob Kagan Member Posts: 12 Contributor
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I use two slack channels for a lot of resources. Humans for CS and the Customer Success Leadership Network.
  • Amber Monroe
    Amber Monroe Member Posts: 15 Thought Leader
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi David,

I started off using Indeed, but quickly shifted over to using LinkedIn. While I certainly had a higher volume of applications on Indeed, I had a lower volume of qualified candidates. The LinkedIn shift provided me with more qualified candidates and I didn't have to pay for the service. For me, it was a win and where I found my team.
  • Scott Jackson
    Scott Jackson Member Posts: 3 Navigator
    edited August 2021
    Options
    LinkedIn is a great way to id passive talent, those that are not actively looking. Another good avenue is to utilize a third party team to do the heavy lifting of sourcing, vetting, testing, and providing "pre-qualified" talent for your review. Typically, this will cost between 15%-20% of the new hire annual salary, but there is no expense unless you hire something they bring to you, so there is no risk. Depending on your bandwidth and budget, this can be a good option.
  • Brian Hansen
    Brian Hansen Member Posts: 75 Expert
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2021
    Options
    That is some serious hiring, Jeff! If you didn't use those channels, what was successful for you in sourcing the candidates? Great work!
  • Jeff Heckler
    Jeff Heckler Member, CS Leader Posts: 80 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment Office Hours Host 2022
    edited August 2021
    Options

1. Internal candidates.  A.) Covid.  I was able to reassign and save a half-dozen employees from my previous employer who were otherwise going to lose their jobs due to Covid.  I took coworkers from G&A (Travel) and HR specifically.  B.) In many SaaS orgs, Customer Support is the entry point for new professional talent looking to get into tech due to their energy, enthusiasm, and affordability.  Then, these individuals are primed with technical skills to become highly effective with customers.  Personally, I believe it is one of the missions of CS to be a pillar of career development for the Company - coming in, going out, and traveling through.

2. HR and Tourism orgs.  These professionals understand customer services, every spectrum of personas, and how to drive value for both people and business.  After that, you can teach and coach the rest.

3.  College grads.  The world of CS, when explained properly, is a land of excitement and opportunity.  No where else can a new professional see, touch, and learn from every end of their company, and every end of their customers' companies.