Virtual CS Teambuilding Events

Options
Darko Kankaras
Darko Kankaras Member Posts: 17 Thought Leader
First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary

Hello!

My CS team is planning a virtual teambuilding event and I am coming up with some suggestions. In the past we've done virtual fitness classes, cocktails making class, and virtual zoo.

Curious if you did any cool things at your company?

Comments

• annaszentgyorgyi
    annaszentgyorgyi Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    First Comment
    Options

I know it’s cheesy but for me the Virtual Pub Quiz is everything! Teamplay, competition, and it’s funny as hell 😄 Mix it up with some Charades as you got a winner in my book.

• Darko Kankaras
    Options

@annaszentgyorgyi , I love it!

• Allison Mortens
    Allison Mortens Member Posts: 9 Seeker
    First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

We've done Drag Bingo for a Pride event, which was super fun! The most fun I had was a cooking and cocktail class with extra before and after the class time to hang out with our team. Pub Trivia is always a good way to go, too!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 260 Expert
    5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
    Options

A couple of others @Darko Kankaras...

• Taking a personality test and then discussing over-arching themes, results
    • Creating some sort of hack-a-thon or something that the team can build together in a session
    • Book club or video club - get different team members to lead sessions
    • "Study hall" - just join the video to see each other but be working independently

A few that I've seen out there.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 260 Expert
    5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
    Options

We had a rotation of who would lead and pass it amongst the team @Darko Kankaras - coordinated via Slack channel.. assign out when to get prepared by and then the facilitator would bring a few questions to talk about

• Darko Kankaras
    Options

@Jeff Breunsbach , I just saw your latest comment. Before I scrolled up and saw the rest of the comments, for about 10-15 seconds I could not remember the context. I was kind of freaking out thinking that I was supposed to coordinate something here. :D

• Tania Hall
    Tania Hall Member Posts: 2 Seeker
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Options

Hi! We are planning a virtual escape room for our event. Not sure if anyone has used one before and has one they would recommend?

• samaever
    samaever Member Posts: 1 Navigator
    Photogenic
    Options

Hello! We recently did a virtual escape room and it was so much fun! I'm not sure how large your group is, but there are 9 of us. The biggest challenge was ensuring everyone could provide input toward the escape (some are more willing to chime in than others) but it was manageable. We went through trappedintheweb.com and chose the 'Lockdown Breakout' room. It was tough, but we shared lots of laughs working together as a team to figure it out.

• Tania Hall
    Tania Hall Member Posts: 2 Seeker
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion! I will check it out. We have a team of 25, and were thinking about breaking into random teams of 5 to compete against each other in the same theme game, so hopefully this could work this way.

• NicNoland
    NicNoland Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options
    @Darko Kankaras “Book Club” but everyone brings one piece of little known CS research (or whatever they’re interested in) and breaks it down for everyone else!

Not an icebreaker, but good way of 
    -Learning together
    -Seeing how everyone thinks/learns
    -Prompting more specific questions for future L&D on your team

While keeping it fun!
  • Darko Kankaras
    Options
    @Tania Hall and @samaever, we are considering using The Escape Game for the escape room game. They seem to be a bit pricey at $300/person. What kind of quotes did you get?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.