How valuable would it be to SEE and HEAR what a customer really thinks?

Options
AaronEsau
AaronEsau Member Posts: 5 Navigator
First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
I've been geeking out about Usability testing since I started at TryMyUI. I understood that User Experience research was a thing, but always assumed it was something that was only for $Billion$ tech-companies. Since working here though, I've been thinking of ways that we as CSM's could gain a WEALTH of knowledge and insights into our customers' by conducting Unmoderated and Moderated recorded sessions with them. Typically UX Researchers like to keep this gem to themselves, and say that the lay person (read: Customer Success, Marketers, or anybody other than an academic) are not able to conduct proper UX Research and testing. But I say BAH to that! I'd like to hear if anybody in the GGR community has used remote usability testing to gain insights? I'm certain it's a difficult hurdle to get clients to agree to complete a test, but the insights are worth their weight in GOLD!

Comments

• Anita Toth
    Anita Toth Member Posts: 246 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options
    Love this idea @AaronEsau. I've got 20+ years of academic qualitative research under my belt and am teaching CS Leaders and CSMs about conducting standardized data collection -- for all the reasons you cite (especially those GOLDEN nuggets!)

I love your thinking. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk shop.😃

• AaronEsau
    Options
    Love this idea @AaronEsau. I've got 20+ years of academic qualitative research under my belt and am teaching CS Leaders and CSMs about conducting standardized data collection -- for all the reasons you cite (especially those GOLDEN nuggets!)

I love your thinking. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk shop.😃

DM sent on LinkedIn! Even today I created an Impression test to compare two potential design images for a client and thought, "how cool would it be to conduct testing on two potential email messaging campaigns before I send them out?" I could get a community to proof-read or provide feedback and just general insights that isn't isolated to just what my boss thinks and with trackable metrics! (9 out of 10 testers think my campaign is the beez-neez!) haha
  • Ed Powers
    Ed Powers Member Posts: 180 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary 5 Likes
    Options
    You might get a kick out of seeing what Immersion is up to, @AaronEsau. They use Apple Watches to measure small changes in heart rate, which is linked to the release of oxytocin, a neurotransmitter associated with attention and emotional engagement. This, in turn, predicts subsequent behaviors with about 80% accuracy. It works much better than asking people about their intentions, which averages only about 25% predictive accuracy when compared to actual behaviors.

Is this a tool for CSMs? Perhaps those working side-by-side with the Development/UX team to engineer and test better customer journeys at scale. 
  • AaronEsau
    Options
    Ed Powers said:
    You might get a kick out of seeing what Immersion is up to, @AaronEsau. They use Apple Watches to measure small changes in heart rate, which is linked to the release of oxytocin, a neurotransmitter associated with attention and emotional engagement. This, in turn, predicts subsequent behaviors with about 80% accuracy. It works much better than asking people about their intentions, which averages only about 25% predictive accuracy when compared to actual behaviors.
    This looks really cool! Seems limited only to persons who own a smart device, but then Remote testing has it's limitations too with respect to getting persons to actually take a test. The key is regular and repeatable tests we can compare over-time.

Ed Powers said:

Is this a tool for CSMs? Perhaps those working side-by-side with the Development/UX team to engineer and test better customer journeys at scale. 
    Yeah, the way I see it, is the UX/Dev teams are already investing in UX Research tools like TryMyUI, UserZoom, UserTesting, etc. and I would just love to see some of those tools extend to CSM's (of course I'm partial to TryMyUI.com but hey, they are the ones who introduced me to this!)

SurveyMonkey is cool and all, but the power of having the clients and users actually speaking out-loud and showing you on their screen what they like or what's aggravating them is so powerful. Plus, it can empower CMS's in companies that don't have an established UX/Dev research team to show-case pain points that we KNOW are happening, but we just can't seem to get management traction to make changes.

I ran a test on a previous website for a manufacturing company I used to work at, and we all KNEW their website contact was atrocious, but we could never get traction to get it improved (if it ain't "that" broke lets not fix it) I sent the test results to them after I left the company to help their struggling support team get some valid evidence to show "we are losing out on customer experience because of how painful our website is"

The awesome part is, these are often so easy to share and make clips and bring in show-and-tells for your team meetings.

Manufacturing Company Website: https://www.trymyui.com/pva/Mgg8sM67eOFFXzSM
    Impression test example: https://www.trymyui.com/pva/Mg611M67eODldHWv  
  • AaronEsau
    Options
    I meant to include this too. For each of my Playbooks, I keep Customer Surveys and NPS scores and track them. These are automatically captured by having the customer's complete a post call survey where they include the NPS and other Post-call survey questions. I often send the videos back to the customers if applicable with annotations of the highlights to help them remember when they said "Wow - I really like that!"