Interviewing customers for testimonials

Options
Jeffrey Numark
Jeffrey Numark Member Posts: 2 Navigator
edited October 2023 in CS Org Conversations

I was wondering if anyone has some templates for questions that customers can answer while giving a testimonial? Something like, "What problems were you having before adopting XYZ solution? How did you justify the purchase?"

Comments

• David Ellin
    David Ellin Member Posts: 170 Expert
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Jeffrey Numark, I've had some great experiences just asking the customer why they agreed to provide a testimonial and then recording whatever they say. They bring out all the issues, why they made the selection, and the value they've received.

Always good to have a few questions should they get stuck or not say what you'd like. In most cases, they'll do a great job on their own! Make sure you record it so you can capture verbatim quotes and edit as appropriate.

• Rob Schmeltzer
    Rob Schmeltzer Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Jeffrey Numark   I like @David L Ellin approach, and will try that.  I would add you should make sure to have a few questions that go past what problem they needed to solve and the results.  Testimonials that get into HOW they were successful with the solution can be very powerful.  How did you get the solution up and running?  How did you overcome internal obstacles to get your team to adopt the solution?  What were they able to do better/differently as a result?  I find it makes the story very relatable to others when the testimonial gets into how they did it, not just why they did it.

• Jeff Breunsbach
    Jeff Breunsbach Member Posts: 266 Gain Grow Retain Staff
    5 Insightfuls Photogenic First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2022
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Bob London might have some great insight to share here!

• Thomas Hussenet
    Thomas Hussenet Member Posts: 9 Seeker
    edited June 2020
    Options

A few ones that could be used

• How has YourCompany impacted your business?
    • If you could change one thing about YourCompany, what would it be?
    • What convinced you to choose YourCompany?  And to stick with us year after year?
    • Do you feel that YourCompany has helped you to take some risks? And helped on strategic decisions?
    • If you’ve used other YourDomain tools before, what’s better about YourCompany? 
    • How would you describe the interactions you have with YourCompany’s team?
    • What challenge were you aiming to solve by implementing YourCompany? What results globally have you seen?
    • What’s on the roadmap for this year? In an ideal world what would you do with YourCompany
    • If you could have another feature, what would it be ?
    • How do you see YourIndustry in 3/5 years?
  • Jeffrey Numark
    Jeffrey Numark Member Posts: 2 Navigator
    edited June 2020
    Options

Wow, thanks everyone for your replies! I'm excited to be a contributing member of this community.

• Anita Toth
    Anita Toth Member Posts: 246 Expert
    Photogenic 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Jeffrey Numark  If the testimonial is really good, you can always ask them if they'd like to be a case study. 

• Jay Nathan
    Jay Nathan Member Posts: 108 Expert
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes
    edited July 2020
    Options

Here are a really good set of questions to capture Voice of Customer. Credit goes to our friend and colleague Don Drury for this content.