Industry Certification

Daniel LaFauci
Daniel LaFauci Member Posts: 4 Navigator
edited August 2023 in CS Conversations
Hi Everyone, 
My first post! I am wondering if there is a gold standard credential or industry certification for customer success professionals. 
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Jeremy Donaldson
    Jeremy Donaldson Member Posts: 71 Expert
    Office Hours Host 2022 First Anniversary GGR Blogger 2021
    edited September 2020
    Hi @Daniel LaFauci,

Unfortunately, there is not a standard. However, I really like the content from SuccessHacker.

I've also heard great things about PracticalCSM.
  • Daniel LaFauci
    edited September 2020
    Thanks!

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 1:56 PM Jeremy Donaldson via Gain Grow Retain <community@gaingrowretain.com> wrote:
    Hi @Daniel LaFauci, Unfortunately, there is not a standard. However, I really like the content from SuccessHacker. I've also heard great things...
    Gain Grow Retain

Customer Success Leadership Community

Post New Message
    Re: Industry Certification
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Jeremy Donaldson
    Sep 14, 2020 4:54 PM
    Jeremy Donaldson
    Hi @Daniel LaFauci,

Unfortunately, there is not a standard. However, I really like the content from SuccessHacker.

I've also heard great things about PracticalCSM.
  • Shakira Morgan
    Shakira Morgan Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    edited September 2020
    Hi Daniel,

I am looking to transition into Customer Success Manager and got certified via Pulse Academy by Gainsight. They allow people who have lost their jobs due to COVID due to apply for free access. I have learned quite a bit for a solid foundation.

https://www.gainsight.com/elements/social-impact/

Hope this helps.
    Kira
  • Daniel LaFauci
    edited September 2020
    Thank you!
  • Ben Coffman
    Ben Coffman Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    First Anniversary
    edited September 2020
    Hi Daniel,

I came across SuccessCoaching.co late last year.  It's inexpensive, which is why I tried the level one training and certification.  I've been in the field for a while, so I can't say I learned a ton, but there are some good handouts, and it provides a strong foundation.  I now have my team working on it.

Ben Coffman
    Senior Director, CS
  • Scott Hopper
    Scott Hopper Member Posts: 70 Expert
    First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Getting Certified won't help you get a job right now.  However,  getting certified should help with you be confident that you understand what Customer Success is all about and that might get you a job.  If you are already working it, it's a way to say you understand all the major areas that encompass Customer Success.  

I certified 2 levels with Success Hacker it wasn't hard and I never have held the title of Customer Success Manager or Account Manager, but I've been in software for nearly 30 years.  But I've worked in a value-driven environment geared with the Trusted Advisor model and goal of references, upsells and case studies with our customers.  So it can add to your story.
  • Yanira "Janita" Sesniak
    Yanira "Janita" Sesniak Member Posts: 53 Expert
    edited September 2020

Hi @Daniel LaFauci -

I'll echo my peers and wanted to share this snippet from my recent article on job searching to become a CSM. Here's the full article to help you on your journey to learn all things Customer Success: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/3-ways-land-customer-success-role-without-prior-sesniak-m-ed-/

1. Utilize training programs to level up quickly. Two of my favorite Customer Success Training programs are Gainsight's Pulse Plus and SuccessHACKER's SuccessCOACHING. Pulse Plus gives you access to what is already being accepted as the industry's leading and most widely recognized certification. SuccessCOACHING helps people interested in CS not only know the best practices, but also how to apply them to resolve the real, everyday challenges CS professional face as they work with customers.

• Daniel LaFauci
    edited September 2020
    Thanks!
  • Karen Chambers
    Karen Chambers Member Posts: 15 Thought Leader
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for this, Ben!  So, I think I am going to start with the Level 1 cert via SuccessCoaching.  My question for you is that I see it bills $99 per year which I thought was odd.  Why for a year?  Is that just the time allowed to complete it?  Did you move through the next levels of certification as well?  Is this something we have to do continuing ed to keep the cert up to date?  
    Thanks for any help here!!
    Karen
  • Ben Coffman
    Ben Coffman Member Posts: 4 Navigator
    First Anniversary
    edited January 2021
    Hi Karen,

SuccessCoaching is trying to establish a subscription business, hence the per year pricing.  I bought it for one year.  I completed it mid-year, although one can get through it much quicker with dedication.  It's maybe 15-20 hours of content, depending on how many of the extras you dive into.  I did not renew for my second year because I passed the certification exam (note that you must cancel the subscription if you don't want to continue with it).  I'd consider going to the next level, but I'm not ready yet time-wise.  I'm actually still getting my team through it, treating it like a book club where we discuss a lesson every two weeks.  I don't recall if the certification has an end date.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ben Coffman

Director, Customer Value Management

+1-734-929-7702 Mobile | benjamin.coffman@coupa.com